Chapter Twenty Two, Learning To Have Peace

Ezra felt like the wind was knocked straight out of him as his mind regained consciousness and found himself in Kanan's bedroom as he heard Sabine's voice.

"Kid, are you okay?..."

He opened his eyes to everyone but Tseebo and Sara in the room smiling, relieved that their youngest member is okay. Kanan knelt beside his padawan, grateful that Ezra is alive. "Hey, buddy... Is everything okay, are you hurt?..."

Ezra shakes his head no, rubbing his forehead from being knocked out by the Inquisitor earlier. "(GROANS) I've had worse!..."

Ezra smiles at his Master as Kanan smiles with relief before embracing the kid. Ezra is shocked at first but hugs his mentor back. Sara enters the room, confused about what happened. "Ezra, what exactly happened down there?..."

Ezra sighs heavily, remembering the Inquisitor and Mark before he was knocked out. "(SIGHS) My former adoptive brother happened!... I thought that he loved us, but... I was wrong!..."

Kanan looked at the saddened boy, feeling empathy for him, knowing how that felt at a young age. He placed a comforting hand on Ezra's shoulder, hoping to make him feel better a little."I know how that feels... To be wrong about family!..."

Ezra smiled before he placed a hand of his own over his master's, knowing he's glad to have Kanan as a mentor in his life. Hera smiles as leads the others out of the room so that Kanan could have time alone with his student. He then remembers a gift he wanted to give to Ezra, as a late birthday present.

"I know just what you need!.. I stopped by your old abandoned tower outside in the skirts of Lothal and found this on your old desk. It was a bit dusky, but I cleaned up and... I found something!..."

Ezra takes the disk before turning it on. The boy's face is shocked when he sees a picture of his real parents, right before his mother's first solo mission.

"Mom?...Dad!..."

Kanan smiled before he placed an affective hand on Ezra's head, before ruffling the boy's soft blue hair. "Happy birthday, Ezra Skywalker!..."

Ezra wipes a tear away from his Sapphire eyes before hugging Kanan, feeling peace for the first time in years. Kanan is a bit shocked by the hug but smiles, finally able to feel what it's like to be a parent to an orphaned child.