Chapter Twenty Four, A Real Birthday\A Real Family.

One beautiful afternoon on Lothal, Kanan had woken up early to make a surprise for Ezra. Ever since he had learned that Ezra's birthday was on Empire Day, Kanan was determined to give his student the best birthday ever. Right now, Kanan was putting the finishing touches on Ezra's birthday cake. Zeb, Chopper, and Hera had already put their birthday presents for Ezra on the table. Sabine came into the room with her present when she saw Kanan putting down icing. After finishing with it, Kanan pulled out his present from under the table. Sabine smiled as she put her present on the table.

"So what did you get Ezra for his birthday?..."

Kanan smiled softly at the box before turning to Sabine. "You'll see!..."

Just then, Hera and the others come into the room with the birthday boy himself. Zeb had his paws over Ezra's eyes and smiled as he and the others entered the room. "Okay, you can open 'em up!..."

Zeb excitedly removed his paws as Ezra opened his eyes; the young boy gasped in awe at the cake and the presents! "What's with all the decorations?..."

Hera approached the young boy, with a mysterious smile. "Kanan and I decided you deserved a proper birthday ever since you were Ten!... Let's open presents first!... This one is from Chopper and me.

Ezra opens the present from the both of them to see a pair of pilot flight goggles and a flight suit as well. Ezra smiled at the gift before hugging Hera. "Thanks!..."

Chopper just places a little robotic hand on Ezra's leg, making the kid giggle a little. Hera smiled at the affection between the two before speaking up. "Chop and I thought you might need something flight material before I teach you how to fly the Ghost later!..."

Ezra smiles excitedly as Zeb hands him his gift. The young boy takes the gift and opens it. Zeb's gift was an orange lothalcat plush toy. Ezra smiled with tears of joy, recognizing it as an old birthday present his foster parents gave to him when he was only six years old.  Zeb sat down as explained how he got it.

"I found it earlier at your old house and wanted to give it to you earlier the other day, but there was so much going on and you were distracted and... Oaf! (GRUNTS A LITTLE WHEN HE REALIZES EZRA IS HUGGING HIM. ZEB SMILES AND HUGS HIM BACK, EMBRACING THE BOY IS LIKE A LITTLE BROTHER TO HIM)"

Ezra smiled with tears peace, before whispering: "Thank you!..." The young boy pulls back from the hug before wiping his tears away from his eyes, as Sabine gives her present to Ezra.

"I know that in past our ancestors might have been enemies, but it's the thought that counts!..." Ezra opens the gift to find Mandalore vambraces, much to Ezra's shock!

"Wow, Mandalore vambraces?!... Where did you get these?!..."

"Special delivery!..."

Kanan simply chuckles at Sabine's answer as Ezra puts them on. Sabine looks in awe at her adoptive little brother. Ezra shrugs at Sabine, smiling a little. "So... How do I look?..."

"Well... It's... Different!... But that seems about right for you!..."

Kanan smiles as he opens his present for Ezra. The young boy is shocked when he sees what is in the box: It's adoptive papers already signed, with both Hera and Kanan's names on them. Ezra looked at the adoptive papers in awe as Kanan speaks up.

"Will you be my adoptive son for real, Ezra Skywalker?..."

Ezra's eyes glowed with the same tears of joy from the day Kanan accepted him as a padawan before embracing Kanan. "Yes... Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!..."

Kanan is shocked at first but smiles and hugs him back before turns to him, feeling peace about his birthday for the first time in five years. "You know I've been thinking... Growing up won't be so bad, so long as I get to do it with you!..."

Kanan smiles as he strokes Ezra's cheek, glad his padawan is able to let go a little. "Happy first birthday, Ezra Skywalker!... Make a wish!..."

Hera holds out of the blue velvet cake as Ezra blows the candles... Little did the boy know, Mark was going to do something that would destroy their bond for gone!...