Chapter Twenty Seven, Pain Of The Past\Ezra Comes To The Rescue

While Ezra and the others were on their way to rescue Kanan, the Jedi was in his cell aboard Tarkin's ship, being tortured by an imperial droid in a torture chamber. Mark enters the room, seeing that his Master is still trying to get Kanan to spill what he knows.

"Still going on?..."

"Yes..."

The Inquisitor waves a hand, making the torture droid stop. Kanan breathes a sigh of relief, still in pain from all the electrical shocks.

"Still trying to protect your rebel friends, eh? If you just tell us where your so-called student and the rest of your friends, then I promise your death will be quick and painless!... So what's your decision?...."

"For the 22nd time, Mark; I don't know anything of a larger rebellion!... And even if I did, I would give up my own life than tell you!..."

Mark knew just how to use pain to break him. "So heroic, just like your Master. Tell me Jedi; how did you survive Order 66, hmm?... It was your Master Depa Billpa who laid down her life for yours... Do you remember her last word to you; her last living breath, before she died?...

Kanan does, but is trying not to remember, the Inquisitor notices this before he takes over for his apprentice. "You do, don't you? You hear it in your sleep, you hear her voice you wake!... Tell me Jedi, what was her last word to you?...."

Kanan gritted his teeth, before whispering the word: "Run!..."

The Inquisitor smirked, before stepping back and whispering his words of doubt. "And does your loyal and precious crew know that you ran as your Master fell; abandoning her and the Jedi Order when they needed you most?... What do you think the rebels would do, if they knew their leader was a coward?... You're even afraid of your own power!..."

Kanan looked sadly at the ground as the Jedi hunter pulled out his blue lightsaber before pointing it at the imprisoned Jedi. Kanan looks toward Mark, still confused why he would betray Ezra. "Why did you betray Ezra?!..."

"He brought war to my planet!..."

"No! He made a mistake!"

"Which everyone seemed to forget, including you!... I didn't!.... Did you honestly think he had the moral right to lead us after he betrayed us?!...

"He was sorry!... Why because of Anakin's disappearance are you so against him?!..."

"I suppose it's no point keeping a secret now, so okay!... When the three of us were kids,    me, Sara, and Ezra, we were the best of friends!... The Empire said they would spare our parents lives if I joined, but they lied to me!... After our parents were taken, Ezra said we couldn't stay. And so we fled!... At first, I offered to become bounty hunters. But Ezra decided that we would be safer in Tarkintown!.... When he was Ten, Ezra and Sara tried to accomplish our Jedi of Hope dream!... But when I and the Empire tried to stop them... Ezra turned on me when I hurt Sara and tried to kill me!... However, he only ended cutting off my Jedi braid!... Although he and Sara both escaped, I was certain the wounds I infected upon him were far too grave for him to survive!... I was wrong!... He believes that I destroyed his life!... But now, it is I who will have vengeance!... Let me tell you something Kanan, you're right to be afraid!... You couldn't save your Master than, and you can't save your followers now!..."

As Kanan gulped in fear, the Imperial transport came out of hyperspace. Hera went the plan, knowing failure is not an option. "Fulcrum will contact her squadron and we'll send Sabine's little gift in as soon we know that Kanan's in there!... Ezra?..."

Ezra sighs, knowing that he can do this... "Well, here goes nothing!..."

Ezra closed his eyes, putting all of his energy into finding him. Zeb is nervous that the kid is taking a while. "So, anything?..."