Chapter Twenty Three, Never Give up Hope!...

It had been a few days since Empire Day, and Ezra was learning to heal from what happened with Mark. Right now, the boy was sleeping in his and Zeb's room. All of sudden, Ezra found himself in a crystalline room. The kid kept knew this place, always having terrible visions of Kanan and the others disliking him like Mark did. But Ezra got rid of the nightmares after Empire Day, so why was he back here?... Suddenly, he hears a soft voice similar to Hera's behind him.

"Hey..."

Ezra turned around to see a young woman who was in her mid-20s, standing right behind him.

"Hi... Who are you?..."

The young woman chuckled a little, surprised that Ezra hasn't heard of her before. "I'm Master Depa Billaba; I thought you would have heard of me, considering your Master used to be my padawan!..."

Ezra's eyes blink in confusion, but remembers Kanan's stories of his Master when he was around Ezra's age. "Oh! Now I remember you! You're Kanan's Master!.."

"(CHUCKLES) Yes, but I knew him under a different name."

"Let me guess; even though you are dead, the reason you're here is because the Force works in mysterious ways?..."

The both of them chuckle, as Depa knows that Ezra is Kanan's padawan. "While you certainly are Kanan's student, I can sense that there's a reason you are so anxious!..."

Ezra sighed before sitting cross-legged on the floor like Kanan taught him during his mediation classes, while rubbing his arm a bit nervous. "I'm afraid that real father; Anakin Skywalker might have betrayed the Jedi Order and it that might make me a traitor to Kanan like Mark thinks I am!..."

Depa smiles a little, before giving Ezra a special blue kyper crystal. "Well... I don't think Anakin meant for Kanan to lose me, and I don't think you meant for the Empire rise either!.... Believe me,  I knew your father when Kanan was young. He loved his family more than anything in the world!..."

She hands Ezra a magical orb containing some happy memories of her, Kanan, Anakin, Ahsoka, Rex, Sara, Mark, and Obi-Wan laughing with each other after a successful mission together.

"Aww, Anakin wasn't just a good person, he was the greatest! And he made everyone around him even better!..." She ruffles Ezra's hair, causing the boy to smile remembering the same affection from his foster mother and Kanan.

"Don't give up young one, your father never did!..."

Ezra put his blue kyper crystal in his pocket as a sign of courage before putting the orb down and gratefully embraced the young woman with tears of joy. Depa smiles, knowing Kanan is lucky to have Anakin's youngest son in his life. Ezra wipes his tears away from his eyes before picking up the orb.

"Well, I best be getting back to my Master before he misses me!..."

He turns to leave when he hears Depa's voice. "Hey Ezra?... Take care of Kanan for me, he's a good kid!... And tell him to get a decent haircut!..."

Ezra simply smirks, her joking tone reminds him of Hera before smiling.

"(CHUCKLES) Sure thing, Master Depa!..."

The next thing Ezra knew, he woke up in bed aboard the Ghost. He looked over to see both orb and the kyper crystal that Depa gave him as a sign of courage and hope. Ezra smiled at the two gifts as Kanan enters the room.

"Hey... Um, I was hoping to check to see if you're doing okay?... (SEES EZRA HAS A ORB AND A CRYSTAL WITH HIM.) I don't believe it!..."

Ezra realizes he's referring to the strange crystal his Master gave and picks it up, realizing she didn't tell him what it is. "What is it?... It's good, right?..."

"Ezra, that's a kyper crystal!..."

"Oh, wow!... What's a kyper crystal?..."

Kanan chuckles at the curious tone in Ezra, reminding him so much of himself as a kid. "It's a lightsaber crystal!.."

Ezra's eyes widened in surprise before Kanan turns to the orb and the crystal. "Where did you get the orb and the crystal from anyway?..."

"Oh, your Master gave them to me a daydream! She's much beautiful than you deciphered!..."

Kanan chuckles before ruffling Ezra's hair, causing the boy to laugh at the affection like he did with Depa. "Hey, Kanan... I think I'm ready to build my lightsaber and keep Ahsoka's lightsaber as well!..."

Kanan smiles, knowing that Ezra's ready to have his lightsaber after the last few days. "Well, then I am all ears... Shining light!..."

Ezra smiles at the nickname he and Hera made just for him. He picks up his crystal and leaves the room before responding to Kanan bluntly. "Oh, yeah!... Your Master said you should get a decent haircut!..."

Kanan is a bit shocked at first but smiles before putting a hand on Ezra's shoulder. "Of course she did!..."

The two walk outside to work on Ezra's lightsaber. A few weeks later, Ezra is still working on his lightsaber in the Phantom. Downstairs in the common room; Kanan, Hera, Chopper, Zeb, and Sabine were waiting on Ezra. Zeb doubts Ezra can build a lightsaber with the junk they can afford around the Ghost.

"He's been working on that thing for weeks. What kind of lightsaber could he possibly build with the junk we have laying around?!..."

Kanan smiled, knowing that he, Sabine, Chopper, and Hera all pitched in to help Ezra out any way they could.

"Well, I had a few spare parts I found over the years."

"And I had some bits and pieces that might work modulation circuits, an energy gate. Chopper even donated a power cell."

Chopper beeped in droid language, knowing that it's the least he could after everything Ezra's done for them. Hera told about her part in helping the kid.

"I gave him some additional tech. He was pretty specific about what he was looking for."

All of a sudden, Ezra slid down the ladder from the Phantom, holding a strange object that looked like his own lightsaber!... Kanan got up shocked as Hera smiles proudly at the young boy. Both Zeb and Sabine gasped in amazement as Ezra smiled, as he handed the lightsaber to Kanan.

"I thought I'd let you check it out first!..."

Ezra gently gives it to Kanan to inspect; who is shocked, but also amazed at Ezra's lightsaber. "Well, it's different. But that seems about right for you. Go for it!..."

Kanan gives Ezra his lightsaber back, knowing the kid is ready to be a Jedi like Anakin. The kid ignites the blade, causing the saber to light up in a beautiful blue light!... Kanan smiled at his student, knowing whatever Mark, the Inquisitor, or the Empire had store for them, as long as they had each other, they would be ready for anything!...