Truth Be Told

"Promise to be safe?" I pleaded.

"Anything for you," Sirius replied, pecking me on the lips and ruffing my brunette locks.

"I'll miss you." I smiled, fighting the frown that was forcing its way onto my face. Every time Sirius left for work, my heart stooped to my stomach and only returned to its designated spot once he returned.

"I'm flattered, but I'll miss you more than there are stars in the sky." He bent down onto one knee, kissing my belly, "Take care of your mum, little one."

With that, he grabbed the floo powder, clearly stated 'Aurors Department, Ministry of Magic' and disappeared in a gulf of green flames. I sighed at the scene before retreating to the bedroom, getting dressed for the day.

I made my way down the hallway leading to Marlene's apartment, but before knocking, the door swung open revealing a familiar redhead. Gideon Prewett. His hair was ruffled, it clearly hadn't been brushed this morning, but his usual smirk was still plastered on his features, I'm not sure if it ever left, rain or shine.

"Don't forget this." Marlene called out, her figure coming into view holding onto a men's jacket, one that must've belonged to Gideon. Her eyes went wide when she saw me, only causing my smirk to grow wider.

Her blonde hair was also disheveled, makeup from the night before lightly smudged around her eyes, but nevertheless, she still looked marvelous, as always. 

"Well well well, what do we have here?" I asked, my smirk only growing bigger as each second passed.

"Gideon just came to tell me about a mission we have in the coming days, no big deal." Marlene shrugged, her cheeks slightly flushing, erasing any trace of doubt of my suspicions.

"Is that so, no big deal?" Gideon asked, now looking at the blonde, taking the jacket from her grasp, "Well I suppose that's my cue to leave." With one last wink, he left the apartment, looking right and left for any unsuspected guests, chuckling lightly to himself, and apparating away. 

Marlene grabbed my wrist, pulling me into her apartment, groaning at my eyebrows that were quite raised at the moment. 

"You and Gideon? I knew it, I called this, day one. Remember at the Order meeting, I called it. James owes me 10 galleons." I laughed, plopping myself onto a stool sat around the kitchen island.

"WHAT? You were betting on me?" She yelped, "Regardless, I have no idea what you're referring to, he came to tell me of an Order mission."

"Really? Did he spend the night before or after he told you that? Was it just friendly order business that you happened to kiss?" I asked, smiling wider at my friend's growing blush.

"Kiss? We did not kiss, where on Melin's green earth did you get that idea?" Marlene asked, twirling a blonde lock around her finger.

"The red lipstick smudged on his lips kinda gave it away, Mar." I chuckled.

"Ugh, fine you caught me. I didn't want anyone to know, he's different." She sighed, sipping on her chamomile tea.

"Different? Is it because he's an attractive male specimen?" She just rolled her eyes. 

"I like him. I really like him. It scares me, I've never felt like this before. Usually, I just have flings, guys or girls, but I don't want him to just be a one night stand." She confessed, planting her head in her hands with a loud groan.

"Marlene, it's not bad to have feelings for somebody, this is a good thing."

"I'm scared that I'm going to push him away, that's what I've always done. If I start to get attached, I push them away, move on, before the feelings are too strong."