Tribute to the Fallen Boy

Sirius and I walked hand in hand to Regulus Black's funeral.

I could feel Sirius's sweaty palm pressed against mine, he was anxious to see his parents again, the ones he despised with his whole being. From the stories he rarely told about them, I hated them too.

There were quite a few people gathered, including Narcissa, Lucius,  Andromeda, Walburga, and Orion, other than them, I had no idea who the rest of his family were. I was glad to see that Bellatrix hadn't bothered to show up, I couldn't stand her crooked teeth and her sinister cackle, it unnerved me.

We sat as close to the back as possible in the building where we gathered, not wanting to draw attention, but still wanting to honor Regulus. The building reminded me of an old fashioned chapel, with high ceilings, intricate detailing, obviously made for people with old money. 

Very few people gave speeches, but those who did seemed to know very little about the person Regulus actually was. They kept referring to his devotion to the Dark Lord, I did my best not to scoff. They'd say how dependable he was to protect the family legacy, after everything his brother did to destroy it. Even at his own funeral, Regulus still wasn't the center of attention, his big brother was. For once, he wanted to be recognized, and he never was, nobody paid any attention to him. I was sickened to know I was related to these people by marriage, their views on pureblood supremacy were revolting. Luckily, we got through the service without anybody noticing who was sitting at the back. 

Sirius shed a few tears silently, holding my hand for comfort. I tried my best not to cry, it'd seem suspicious if people thought I knew him after only attending one meeting with the Dark Lord that Reg didn't even attend. I felt Sirius stiffen next to me every time his name was mentioned, if I was in his situation, even if I knew my family was horrid, it'd still hurt to hear them talk poorly of me.

After the service, Narcissa approached me, eyeing Sirius carefully. She whispered in my ear that there would be a new meeting in a few days, she'd owl me with details. I nodded, doing my best not to choke at the thought of meeting with the Dark Lord again in that emotionless residence. 

I had also met Andromeda, she came alone leaving her daughter and husband at home, which was a safe option due to the fact that the Black family wasn't very kind to muggle-borns. She congratulated us on our marriage and pregnancy again, Sirius had previously told me that she was his only relative he actually enjoyed conversing with. She left immediately after the service, not wanting to stay longer than absolutely necessary.

I watched Narcissa and Lucius apparate after sending indecent stares to Andromeda before I was met with a shrill voice. Sirius pulled me out of the room, trying to get a far enough distance from his family before apparating, but his sad excuse for a mother followed us.

"You two disgust me, showing up to his funeral, and you. I don't even know what to say about you," She said, looking at me with wrath in her eyes, "I don't believe your lies for one second, I think you're a hoax, and one of these days you'll be exposed and be killed, oh how I hope you are killed. Disgusting blood traitors the both of you, practically mudbloods. You're not even my son you disgraceful-" I cut her off before she could finish.

I had enough of her insults, I could feel Sirius beside me swallow with anger, trying to hold himself back from hexing her, but I, on the other hand, was done with her shit, and she was about to find out.

"Listen here Walburga bitch, keep talking and I'll hex your arse to the fucking moon. I'm sick of your shameful digs when you're the repulsive one. You're a sad excuse for a mother and if we weren't here for Regulus's funeral, I wouldn't hesitate to knock your teeth in." At this point, my wand was raised and pointed straight at her face, her eyes were looking straight at the tip of it, "You've treated Sirius horrible for years and I think it's time you finally learn some respect for your son. I'd say you were a disgusting little vulture who feeds on others' despair, but that'd be an insult to that poor creature." I spat at her, shaking with anger, the tip of my wand poking her chin repeatedly.

Sirius snickered beside me, amused by my words and the face his mother was wearing, "I think this is the first time I've ever soon you speechless, Walburga, it fits you, the sound of your voice is horrendous." He grabbed my wrist preparing to apparate, but not before I threw my fist at her face, a loud crunch echoing from her face, I'd broken her nose.

Blood started spewing from her nose, and just as she reached for her wand, I cast a nonverbal spell, throwing her ten feet into the air before landing straight on her back. The sounds of cracking indicated that I had in fact broken more of her bones, I smiled, then we apparated.

"THAT WAS THE BEST THING I'VE EVER SEEN!" Sirius yelled once safely inside of our apartment, he picked me up spun me around, and placed a gentle kiss on my lips, "I am so glad I married you, Vic."

It felt good to see Sirius smiling again, momentarily forgetting the reason why we'd seen his wretched mother. Although I didn't know, Sirius felt like he had just gotten closure with his parents, he'd finally let them know that he didn't care about their opinions, that we weren't afraid of them, afraid to stand up to them. It felt like years of trauma had melted from his shoulders. He'd said it before and he'd say it again, being with Victoria felt like a breath of fresh air after he spent years drowning.

In a way, he was relieved for his brother. He wouldn't have been able to escape Voldemort alive, nobody ever did. Regulus always wanted to appease their parents, just wanted to be acknowledged. He realized he'd made a mistake, he wanted to fix it, to escape it, he finally was able to. Sirius hoped that Regulus was waiting for him on the other side, finally free of the restraints that held him back. The thought helped Sirius properly mourn his brother, but he had to move on. This was war, people were going to die, more people Sirius knew and although he hated the thought, he knew it was true.

Nobody was ever safe in a war.

                                                                                     *********

Yessssss, finally Walburga got her karma, the bitch deserved it. (I try not to cuss in this story because some people don't prefer that type of language and some of you may be young, but Walburga needed to be called out, and cuss words were a must, sorry) Any baby names? I've seen a lot of stories with Cassiopeia, so I won't be using that one even though it's really pretty.

Also, I appreciate everyone who's reading this story, it means a lot.

XOXO,

SiriusBlackLover <3

QOTD: Favorite song?

AOTD: Every Christmas song cause it's December!

Vote if you liked it!