Now or Never

The warm July air brought the serotonin we needed, reminded us of simpler times when we only cared about when we'd see our friends again and what we'd eat for dinner. 

The last meeting with the Dark Lord was almost unbearable, with Narcissa absent since she had recently given birth to Draco, I was forced to sit next to sniggering Bellatrix ramble about Merlin knows what without her sister to put an end to her endless talking.

My bump had gotten so big I couldn't even see my toes and my feet were so swollen it physically hurt to walk. On the brighter side, Sirius had practically become my personal assistant, tending to my every need.

Lily and Alice were in the same boat as I, just as irritable and they both agreed to feeling like a whale on dry land, though Sirius, James, and Frank made sure to shoot these allegations down anytime we mentioned them, like the gentlemen they were.

I waddled my way to the kitchen, a frown already appearing on my face as I noticed my favorite tea had run out. Before I could even register my emotions, I felt hot tears falling down my cheeks causing me to grunt in anger, my hands in fists.

"Vic? Oh dear, what's wrong?" Sirius asked gently, tucking a lock of my hair behind my ear.

"My favorite tea is out!" I cried angrily, "And now I'm crying because of tea and I feel like an idiot! Who cries because of tea?"

He looked at me sympathetically before bursting out into laughter, holding a stitch in his side.

"THIS ISN'T FUNNY, BLACK!" I bellowed, wiping my tears.

"EXCEPT IT IS, BLACK!" He yelled right back, laughing harder than before.

"I'm sorry, it's just that you're so adorable when you're pregnant!" He simply stated, wearing an open-mouthed grin.

"I'm big and ugly." I retorted, doing my best not to smile at his compliment.

"Never in a million years will you be ugly, dear." He kissed my forehead, wrapping his arms around my shoulders, awkwardly avoiding the baby bump. 

After a few moments, he spoke again, "Victoria?" 

I hummed in response.

"Did you just pee on me?" He asked, some humor evident in his voice.

"What?" I asked, looking down seeing tons of fluid rolling down my legs creating a puddle on the floor., "Oh, my Merlin!" 

"It's perfectly okay, I don't blame you-" I cut him off.

"My water broke!" I yelled, eyes wide, looking at my husband whose face turned into one of recognition.

"OH!" He yelled back, eyes also wide, "I'LL GRAB THE HOSPITAL BAG!" 

Of course, the dimwit thought I peed on him, what went through his mind on a daily basis, I'd never know, but I didn't have time to focus on that now, I had to get to St. Mungos before this baby quite literally popped out of me.

He ran into the bedroom grabbing the hospital bag and my shoes. He ran back into the room, slipping my shoes onto my feet and dragging me to the door only for me to start howling with laughter, tears still drying on my cheeks.

"What?" He asked, looking over his shoulder.

"Sirius, you aren't wearing a shirt or shoes, I don't think the Healers will appreciate your lack of clothing." I chuckled, shaking my head, brunette hair swaying gently.

"Oh." He ran back into the bedroom reappearing moments later fully clothed before grabbing my wrist and apparating to the hospital.

The healers led us to the pregnancy ward, immediately directing us to a room with a plush bed and a comfy armchair, and a window that allowed the sun to shine through, basking us in the afternoon light.