Rest In Peace

The next few days were rocky. Every day, we'd go to the hospital, visiting the Potters, soaking up the last few days of life they had in them. At first, we were hopeful that maybe by some miracle they'd pull through, but as the days progressed, it became clear that they were just getting worse.

They had become an even more awful tinge of green, but the Healers had administered a thick, purplish potion that had stopped their coughing. The energy had been sucked from their beings, barely able to open their eyes let alone talk, but they still tried their best, for James, for Sirius, for everyone.

James never left St. Mungos, he stayed by his parent's bedsides all day long, not even attending Order meetings, seeing him so depressed broke me, he was my brother and he was suffering in the worst way. I ended up being at the hospital as often as James on most days, never wanting to leave him alone, but I was quite pregnant so I did have to go home to recuperate. 

Sirius did his best to keep his happy go lucky charisma for me and the baby, but I could see the way his eyes changed, the gray turned stormy, he felt defeated.

"Are you ready?" I asked. We had planned to go to the hospital today to visit, to be with James, to say our final goodbyes.

Sirius just nodded. We made our way outside before disapparating. Upon entering the hallway where the Potter's were staying, we saw James sitting on a chair outside the room, head in his hands, balling his eyes out. 

"James, what's wrong?" I asked, swiftly bringing him into a hug.

"I didn't want him to see me like this, but he doesn't have much longer." He cried, my heart breaking for him.

I made my way into Fleamont's room, gulping at the sight of the frail, sickly man. I remember all the years that I'd seen him joking around, dancing around the kitchen when James and I had gotten our Hogwarts letters when we were eleven. Even dropped his mug of hot tea when James had been awarded Head Boy, jokingly calling him a disgrace to the family name. He was such a good, pure man, and now he was dying.

"V- Victoria." He rasped, a small smile gracing his lips.

I sat down on the side of the hospital bed, taking his hands in my own, a few tears falling from my cheeks.

"I- I don't want James to see me die," He breathed, "I love that boy so much."

 I had never seen Fleamont so serious in my whole life, it was an entirely new side of him. James was right, he probably had less than an hour to live.

"He knows you love him, he loves you," I whispered causing Mr. Potter's eyes to slightly crinkle when he smiled.

"I don't want him to be sad, he has a family now, a son on the way."

I cried more, thinking of how James and Lily's son wouldn't have grandparents, would never witness the loved Mia and Monty shared, the love they held for their son.

He continued, "Don't cry. I'm not scared to go, it's my time. Promise me something."

"W-what?" I asked through tears.

"Promise me you'll take care of James, he loves you so much, you're like his sister. Take care of him for me, for Mia, please. Be there for Sirius as well, he needs you more than you know."

"I promise." 

"You've always been a good girl, Sirius is lucky. I'm proud of you, all of you, I'm so proud of James." 

My gentle tears became sobs when I felt his hand grasp slacken, his eyes staring at the ceiling, lifeless. He'd never laugh again, make a witty comment, tell James he'd love him, he was gone.