✧ chapter thirty-three ✧

"Shit-box"

My final class for the day finally ended. The day had dragged on after the painting incident, but luckily for me I was finally finished and had to make my way to work.

I was walking out of the school with Nova, dragging my feet against the concreted floor. I wasn't necessarily dreading working today. I of course did enjoy my new state of employment- but with everything that happened today, going to the mall with the girls sounded a whole lot better.

"You alright Ari?" Nova's melodic voice ringed in my ear. I didn't bother raising my head as a hummed a soft 'yeah' from under my breath which quite obviously didn't satisfy her as a response. I continued to trail my eyes downward, watching as my vans scuffed along the floor. This would usually really annoy me but I hadn't had the energy to care at this point.

"Are you sure you can't just call in sick?" Nova whined as she stepped in front of me quickly and grasped my shoulders to halt my sluggish steps.

"Nove I started only a few weeks or so ago and I really don't want to risk becoming on bad terms with my boss. Besides I start in 20 minutes anyway so it's a bit too late and unfair if I called in sick now." I ranted. Nova nods her head with a pout and moved to the side to allow me to continue the trek to my car.

I noticed the other girls all waiting around Amelia's car from across the street as I neared where I had parked. Nova turned to me again and pulled me into a tight hug.

"Try to get you mind off it. Okay?" She says whilst pulling away. "Oh and try to have a good shift too. I'll make sure to buy you something."

"I'll try and you better." I grin as she chuckles, looking both ways before running across the road towards the other girls. They all waved at me and called out for me to enjoy my shift as well which made me laugh lightly and shake my head before hopping in my car and starting the ignition.

I plugged my phone in and selected my favourite songs playlist to try and hype myself up for work, needless to say it slightly worked...

I drove the way towards the cafe and found a parking spot right down the side of the building. Something about finding a parking spot for work is so anxiety blooming that it's actually quite funny. Like, if there's no spot close then you have to keep driving around to park. Then even worse, if you can't find a spot and the start of your shift is drawing nearer.... absolutely not- I would cry.

I took my keys out of the ignition and threw them into my bag. I then proceeded to make my way towards the entrance of the cafe.

Once I entered I immediately noticed Leah already working. I gave her a small smile and wave which she returned of course, just before heading behind the counter and into the staff room.

I must admit I wasn't completely paying attention as I opened the inward swinging door. I heard a small "ow" from the other side which made me widen my eyes and quickly step inside the staff room, closing the door swiftly behind me.

"Shit. I'm so sorry Kat." I hold my hand to my mouth and it's a small laugh as she rubs he back of her head from the impact.

"Damn you got some muscle." She chuckles to try and alleviate her attention from the pain. "I was just in a rush more like it. I wish I had some sick guns.." I correct with a laugh, squeezing my pathetic excuse for biceps.

"Are you working the close tonight?" I change the subject with a smile. She nods along whilst tying her apron around her waist.

"Well let's make this a good one shall we? Get your butt up and get ready to serve some customers! From the Karen's to cute old people!" Kat claps her hands together before shimmying out of the staff room to the front of the store.