✧ chapter thirty ✧

The snip

It was Saturday night, the week had passed its time of boring lectures and practicals and it was finally the weekend. After grabbing my 3rd bowl of cereal for the afternoon I skipped upstairs to my room and opened the door smoothly.

I stepped inside my room and started walking over to my bed, stopping in my tracks as the low vibration of a guitar could be heard from across the hall. I quickly put my bowl down and scurry back to the door.

Flashbacks to my conversation about Harry's aspirations replayed in my head. I noticed I never saw the boy around an instrument.

I tip toed towards his door, the sound of the guitar was soothing in my ears as I heard it. Was he singing too? I slowly opened the door enough to not be noticed. From my perspective, all I could see was part of the guitar and barely the bottom of his back. The rest of his body was hidden from sight.

The low hum of his voice was soothing. For a man like him, I wouldn't have see him as a singer, but his voice was beautiful. I couldn't recognise the song he was playing, I allowed my ears to prick up to listen to the lyrics he sung peacefully to himself.

"I'm in my bed, and you're not here
And there's no one to blame but the drink and my wandering hands. Forget what I said, it's not what I meant. And I can't take it back I can't unpack the baggage you left..."

The sound of his voice seemed to cut itself off, the sound of the guitar ceased and I heard him sigh and scribble on a piece of paper.

"You know it's rude to spy on people." He said, still facing away. I quickly stood back and hid, attempting to deceive his thought that i was in fact standing there watching and listening to him.

"Ariana." He scorned. I huffed and walked into his room and looked down at the floor. "I'm sorry I was eating my cereal and I heard a guitar and I- holy shit!"

I allowed my eyes to scan up to meet his, then to his lack of hair. "Where the hell did your luscious curls go?" His hair that had once gone to his shoulders sat neatly on top of his head, cut short.

He shrugged. "Got bored of it."

"Well this is too much to handle." I gestured to everything about the scene in front on me. "First thing I'm gonna say is you look hot- I won't lie." I smiled at him jokingly, causing him to roll his eyes with a smirk.

"Thank you?" He chuckled.

"And second, what were you singing? I didn't recognise the song at all." I tilted my head. He took a small breath and placed his guitar down on his lap.

"That's because it's mine." He lifted the guitar as leant it on his knee as he adjusted his stance, watching me intently. "I've been writing it for a while now... it would sound better if I played it on piano but we don't have one here."

"What's it about?" I ask, folding my arms and leaning against the door frame. He presses his lips together before taking the guitar off his lap and placing it on the bed.

"I guess it's about self reflection, and being in the lowest part of your life." He tells me, I made my way slowly towards the bed and sat next to him. I hesitantly placed my hand on his lap as he flinched slightly at he contact.

"What are you gonna call it?" I asked inquisitively.

"Falling- I think." He tells me.

I look at the boy momentarily. There's something about him that's really starting to get to me. He's a really hard book to read, but his pages are lengthy and detailed. You've just gotta know where to look and when it's ready to open it's pages.