Chapter 14: Tournament

The tournaments for each year group ran concurrently and during written exams. A circular platform stood in the center of the training ground. Benches were arranged along the walls, where the judges and first year students sat. The first round lined the students up with their academic match from the first semester.

The roof was left open for smoke and provided an abundance of light and air. Barrels of water were kept close to the proctors for water manipulators and for safety. Students would be allowed to fight until the proctor ended the fight or until someone gave up. Reasons a proctor could end a fight ranged from a student staying down for ten seconds to having lives being put in danger. Those who lost their first match were sent for a second to duel each other, while winners continued to face other winners, allowing each student to duel at least twice for a tournament grade.

While Eris and Nash had their fight against each other in another room, Ayla's first fight was with a fire manipulator. Ayla and her opponent wore the usual lightweight metallic-looking armor. They bowed and turned to walk five steps back. Finally given the liberty to use real weapons, they took their stances and cloaked their swords.

At the command "Enemy," her opponent attacked with a barrage of slashes. They were slow compared to Zayd's, but the heat was overwhelming up close. She blocked each. She knocked his sword from his hand and the flames outed before it touched the ground. She pushed him back with her sword and he fell to the ground. He punched balls of fire at her and she sliced through them. Grabbing his arms, she pinned him to the ground while the proctor counted, "...ten."

~

The second year matches drew a thicker crowd so they took place in larger training grounds to accommodate more spectators.

"When do you fight?" Reyes asked Phina as they walked the balcony of the tiered seats. She had dragged him out of bed to witness her match. He regretted having not looked beforehand who she would face so he could decide whether or not to act like he cared. He had more important duties to attend to but he could hear the excitement in Phina's voice, which meant she wanted someone to suffer, which meant he would be more entertained watching her match over sending reports to the castle.

With mischief in her tone, Phina said, "After."

He stopped when he saw Ayla and her friend. Reyes knew Phina. He knew Phina would leave sooner if he stood by Ayla and her friend. Phina would first scrutinize Ayla, but ultimately ignore her by speaking only to him. Judging by how he would respond, she would leave feeling she had won. So Reyes leaned over the railing next to them.

Ayla squinted at Reyes.

Phina looked Ayla up and down. "Do not look away," she said to Reyes, fully wishing it was him she got to face instead, then she could burn the smugness right off his face, leaving behind a charred black so he could wear his heart on his face.

Knowing extensively her deepest desires, with caressing eyes trailing down her body, Reyes said, "My eyes shall not leave you even once."

Phina left.

Ayla turned to Reyes. "What is it you want... Sir?"

"Nice it is to see your sweet face as well."

"Do you not have a match to do? Or have you already been sent for your recovery duel?"

"I needed to know you were well. That no one else has approached you."

"I am well. I was well back then too."

"With such minute traces of darkness..." He bent over the railing, smiling innocently at Stella on the other side of Ayla. Phina had completely ignored the peasant, but he would do no such thing. "I am Reyes of the House of Fretes."