Chapter 27: Life of the Warriors

Crystal chandeliers hung from the high ceilings of the ballroom and yellow marble spread across the floor. Guards stood at each door as nobility, fashioned in their fine gowns and suits, consorted across the dancefloor. Servants served finger foods and beverages. Over a hundred warriors were lined behind the military commander when he called for everyone's attention. The rescue team stood as statues while the commander relayed the basics of the plan to their sponsors.

Ayla placed her plate of honey lamb on the buffet table while attentions were to be fixed on the commander. Instead of listening to the plan she'd heard so many times already, she scanned the crowd, picking up on a few faces. The Ladies and Sirs of the three great houses were present as well as the smaller noble houses. Arell and Phina mingled with the other nobles as heiresses to the House of Euleus. Zoelle stuck by her mother, representing herself as heiress to the House of Cormill and representing her brother in his spiteful absence.

Noticing Ayla, Zoelle's eyes lit up and she stepped to greet her. Lady Cormill pulled her back by her head. She spun her around and looked up at Ayla before scolding her daughter. They fixed their attention back at the commander, Zoelle often taking glimpses at Ayla to ensure she was still there.

The branch families of Cormill were also present, Ayla could not meet them personally but she watched them from her spot on the sidelines. He had cousins and aunts and uncles and grandparents who she would never get to meet. The people who decided his future.

Her eyes traveled through the crowd and landed on a man. His blonde hair pulled back into a long ponytail. His suit white and his ring gold. He stood attentively, listening to the commander. He stood above everyone else. Confidence bounced off him from the effortless way he stood; authority emanated from every pore in his body and without speaking, she knew he was in control. And like he felt her staring at him through the thickness of the crowd, like he knew who she was before he saw her, he turned slowly to look at her. It wasn't hard to figure out who she was, being the only one dressed in the purple uniform of Orhem Academy. Without a smile or angered face, he turned back around-unbothered by the intensity of her glare. His words wouldn't be wasted on mere nothing.

Upon the commander's conclusion, the warriors exited the ballroom and the nobles continued their consort with the commander and his lieutenant staying behind to entertain them. Ayla followed behind the warriors. She could see Phina pointing at her out of the corner of her eye. Phina clung to her mother's hip, pointing out who she had lost Zayd to. "That is her."

Lady Siena examined her from the aged boots on her feet to her soulless black hair. "You allowed someone so plain to best you?" Her voice was naturally strong. It made people pay attention. The members of the House of Cormill now knew exactly who Ayla was. Lady Siena had also drawn the attention of other Houses as she went on. "If you had shown me a female with at least some class, perhaps then I could forgive your loss. But to finally see she is such a filthy person, just renders me livid, Phina."

Ayla fought the urge to turn around as she kept walking towards the door. Nothing good would come from facing the Lady in here.

"Tell me my daughter lies to me. Is that really who your son fonds over?" Lady Siena snickered.

Eyes dug deep into Ayla's back, claws and fangs digging into her skin, begging her to turn around. She bit down on her lip and continued for the door where the warriors had gone.

"Is the entertainment tonight solely to mock my son and gawk at peasants?" Sir Cormill spoke in place of his wife. His voice was calm, in control, as he showed off that side to him that everyone loved to see- the loving and defensive husband.

Ayla stopped at the doorway to watch them.

He stood before Lady Cormill like a shield. "Shall we?" He escorted his wife from the crowd with his hand at her lower-back. She was oddly quiet.

His Hand In The Shadowsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें