Chapter 16: Arcus- Beneath the Surface

Troops met the students at the Arcusian border gate in eastern Norlyn. The anti-magic walls were layered with concrete, slightly lower than the watchtowers nearby. The troops escorted the students on foot through Arcus' red zone: a twenty minute walk of barren land, featuring dirt and shrubs where citizens were prohibited to reside as it was used for surveillance. Opulent carriages awaited them at the Arcusian posts to take them through town.

Carriages were operated without horses since earth manipulators rotated the stoned wheels for movement. Mountain ranges were sparse throughout Arcus with the largest being near the border gate. A river spewed from the mountains, swollen with recent rainfall. Buildings were plenty throughout the first town with houses similarly made of stone like Norlynian architecture but unlike Norlyn, Arcus made use of more curvilinear designs. Houses featured arched roofs and buildings were consistent with cylindrical and domed concepts. Streets were well-lit and busy with pedestrians who lingered by the sides, watching the convoy of carriages escorted through the town by royal troops.

The carriages entered the gates of Hermes Academy. The grounds were flat and boring until they completed the curved driveway and got to the building. Spiral topiaries enhanced the grandiose of the entrance. The building was as a flattened sphere. Its white monotone and plain facade complimented the dullness of the landscape, throwing the most emphasis on the large hole-like entrance and stoned ornamentation surrounding it.

Like statues, troops lined themselves before the entrance of the building while they awaited the arrival of their guests. Their uniforms were green as opposed to Norlyn's brown and gray. The footmen helped the students out of their carriages and proceeded to fetch their luggage while the welcoming party began introductions.

The campus featured several buildings of the same flattened spherical shape, organized in a circle to leave a courtyard in the center and the main building at the front. The courtyard was far more lively and busy with trees and criss-crossing paths to connect the different buildings on campus.

The first class started the next morning. Ayla yanked socks and boots over her feet while she grabbed the books from her desk. She ran her hands through her hair and patted it down, Taking a glimpse in the mirror she nodded its messy perfection. She threw her satchel over her shoulder and ran through the door and into Zayd.

"I must have waited years for you out here." Zayd took her satchel and books from the floor and handed her a paper bag in return.

"I might have gotten slightly overwhelmed sleeping in a new country. Did you see how spacious my room is? For just me alone." She opened the bag on their way to their classes and stared at the blue muffin, almost disappointed.

"It is sweet. Serpent fruit I suppose, which they say is good for dark magic." Zayd looked up to the ceiling. "Perhaps only a myth you would say. They only said so to have me purchase it?"

Ayla shrugged. "Who knows what deviant things they spawn here. I more fear you in what you would have me eat, noble." She squinted at him.

"An interesting way to declare yourself 'picky'."

To prove him wrong, she bit into the muffin but not before a smell check. "Have you yet had the chance to look over the leaflet? The training grounds caught my attention, as well as the herbal garden and glowing river. That town outside the campus has a tavern too and summer parades. Since our schedules are not as packed as they are during the year," Ayla grinned, "we need to see them all."

"As you wish." Zayd handed Ayla her things as they turned into their different classes.

Ayla took a seat in the front. Only she and three others wore purple uniforms while the Hermes students wore white.