Chapter 32: Explode

Ayla needed her income, now more than ever. The military trapped warriors in contracts so given Kyarra's injury, they had to pay her. But that wouldn't last forever. What would Kyarra say if she was to find out her younger sister, her 'savior' threw her future away. What would she say when she realized they would need to double-think every nil they had not already spent on both their medical bills.

Ayla rolled over in bed. Tossing and turning, she decided to sit up. Stella had asked her to join her at the bonfire, but she had passed to stay in her room alone. It was starting to feel like a bad idea. Exams were approaching. More and more events were popping up around campus. Sonali had managed to put together events sponsored by the NNC so even the nobles were out making the most of their time before exams began. If those immoral fiends were having fun, why couldn't she?

Ayla rummaged through her closet and picked out a blouse and trousers. She pulled her boots over her socks. The tie Zayd had given her at the fire festival was tied around her brush. She brushed her hair down the side to hide some of her face and remembered how the nobles had opened up to her that the style made her somewhat scary. Then they lied on Cormill's behalf. They all deserved death. She left the room.

The last classes for the day were ending. Students walked the halls, some already dressed for the night's events. Curly purple hair with colorful ribbons flashed across her eyes. Stretching her arm out, Ayla grabbed her shoulder.

With a darkness in her eyes, Ayla asked, "How are you?"

"I was just..." Eris pointed behind her with her thumb, "the... campfire."

"How's your mother?"

"My mother? Better?"

"What did she say when you paid for her illness with my freedom?"

"She was too ill at the time, but I'll tell her everything when I return home for the Fire Festival."

"Will you also remember next time to let her in on your plans before I have the liberty of speaking with her. Kyarra was injured in battle and I returned home to see her. I saw your mother. Tell me this, when did you decide you hated me? Back in Belcrest? Before or after you sank your claws into Kai?"

"This again, Ay." Eris rolled her eyes. "I always liked Kai. He was sweet, worked hard for what he wanted. He deserved better."

"Than me?"

"Yes. He deserved better than you."

Ayla stepped back and allowed Eris space to talk. She needed to hear this. "Why?"

"You always get perfect marks and talk like you're above us. When your father would speak to the class, from then you felt that you're not like the rest of us. Not the teachers, not anyone would scold you. You never got what you deserved so you grew up spoiled. You thought you could have anything so you came here and you set sights on the impossible. And it'll never happen. He's engaged."

"You were there when I lost my father, Eris. How can you stand before me and say such things about my childhood?"

"My father died too! At war. But everybody forgets that. He was never captain, but after his death, my mother worked and she paid his academy debt. We're still paying his academy debt and hers! She didn't have the privilege of getting drunk each night like Reina. Reina didn't attend an academy but she's so distraught, huh? Honestly," Eris shook her head, "you say you want to be a warrior, but do yah even care 'bout helping people?"

Ayla struggled with the question. "How can you ask that?"

Eris ran her hand through her curls. "Ayla, you're the most selfish person I know. You look down on us 'cause we don't want to throw our lives away like you, but you don't have anything to lose."