Chapter 29: Rescue

One hundred and twenty kestrels spread out over the red zone. The warriors double checked their saddles and weaponry while they waited for nightfall. The commander went over the strategy with the captains and lieutenants. Border gate guards doubled in numbers and were to wait on standby atop the wall alongside their cannons while warriors surveyed the area from the skies.

"You seem more nervous than we," Lleth said.

Her first instinct was to deny being nervous, but instead Ayla asked, "Aren't you?"

"Nerves only get in the way of a job. It makes you reckless. So you should stop, you have a job to do too."

Ayla nodded.

He leaned up against his kestrel, assessing her.

"Have you noticed the royal guards?" she asked. "Towards the back."

"They told us yesterday. The king ordered backup for the mission."

Their purple uniforms stood out from the warriors, resembling her own uniform more than theirs. Their birds wore armor with the same purple hue of their uniforms. "So the guards do get to leave the walls." She was beginning to see she probably, possibly, rarely, was not always right.

Arms grabbed Ayla from behind. Startled, she jumped back. She could feel his body against hers.

"Guess who?" he said.

She instantly felt nauseous. Noticing the voice, she said, "Release me, coward." Given her freedom back, she turned around asking them, "Why are you here?"

"He wanted to come," Reyes said, pointing at Zayd.

"Well you have seen me. You may leave."

Eyes were fixed in their direction. Warriors were watching the nobles.

"I wanted to see if you were nervous," Zayd said. His eyes slid to Lleth leaning against Ema in his uniform with bow and quiver slung across his torso.

"Do I seem nervous? You are only drawing attention to me. Why are you here?" Ayla asked Reyes.

He was studying Lleth. He seemed to be missing the basics on proper mannerisms, so Reyes went first, "I am Reyes of the House of Fretes." They all waited until it was clear there would be no response from Lleth. Reyes smiled and responded to Ayla. "I merely desire to be witness to his scolding. After all, he does have a test in the morning."

Her expression became stern towards Zayd. "But you are here? Have you studied?"

"Who is he?"

"Do not worry who he is. You two need to leave. I cannot fathom how you have studies to take care of, yet you scurry off here!"

Reyes nudged Zayd in the side as Ayla carried on.

"There is nothing more foolish and childlike. Why have so many books if you never use them? Do you wish to repeat the class again—"

Lleth stepped toward Zayd, "You are the—"

"Stop," Ayla ordered. "Go." She pointed at Zayd.

Zayd held her shoulder. "Wait—"

She flinched and jerked his hand away when a shock ran through her.

"What is it?" Zayd backed up with his hands in the air.

"I shot an arrow through her shoulder," Lleth said.

"In training," Ayla added.

A smile grew across Reyes' face and an odd laugh of intrigue escaped his grasp. He clasped his hands and begged, "May I see it?"