Chapter 41: Listen

The main House of Cormill was half submerged into the ground, courtesy of a certain red bearded Arcusian captain. While cleaning and reconstruction was going on, the members had to relocate. The main family went to the Northern House and what was left of the branch members went to the Southern House.

The Northern Cormill mansion was a massive structure of white stucco and tall minarets. The grounds spanned the size of a village, the front, a work of greenery and lion imagery. Sir Cormill waited for his wife and children at the entrance. Servants took their luggage.

Before they could get situated, Sir Cormill approached Zayd at the door. Loud as thunder, he growled, "How is it that you can ruin such a simple task?"

Lady Cormill sipped her wine in silence.

"And what may that be?" Zayd asked.

Sir Cormill handed Zayd a note. "The girl has nothing to offer her family but marriage. They were almost begging us to take their royal daughter from their hands and you still managed to mess it up? Why is it that the girl refused the proposal!"

Zoelle sat on the stairs listening.

"If you despise your mother's pick so much, I will find you a suit. Plenty linger here during the winters."

A servant approached Lady Cormill and she left the room to go outside.

Sonali had said nothing to Zayd about a letter, he was in shock, but relieved and now his father wanted to start this all over again. "I do not intend to marry anyone you pick." Zayd walked away and his father grabbed him and threw him back.

Lady Cormill reappeared at the front door and her fiery eyes found her husband. "Your presence is required."

He followed behind her down the driveway and she scolded him under her breath, "Do not touch my son. I will not have it in this House." They stopped at the gate where guards held on to a pregnant woman.

"We found her around the gardens, Sir, but she refuses to speak now."

"Allow her leave," Sir Cormill said.

Lady Cormill slapped him across the face. "Why does she know where we live? She has free reign here while I am absent?"

"Release her away from here," he told the guards.

The guards pulled her away by her arms. Lady Cormill turned to leave and she stopped when she saw Zayd.

Zayd had never forced down so much anger in his life. It took everything just to speak concisely. "While I was fighting to save my mother's life, you were here with her. This is why you stay here so often?" He turned to his mother. "This is the life you want for me?"

"Never."

"You say that, but do you mean it? His mistress stands before you and you turn to leave them alone?"

Zayd's father grabbed him by the collar and pulled him into his gaze. "You do not speak to me with such a tone. If you think you defend your mother by offering an opinion, know that this is her own fault."

Zayd spoke clear as day when he said, "I give my title up today. This House and this family. Have Zoelle be your first heir."

A smile crept across his father's face and he started to laugh. He released Zayd. He held his hand behind Zayd, pushing him as they walked. "You seem to think you have a choice—"

Zayd stopped and faced him again. "I do have a choice and I choose liberation from Cormill."

"You seem to think the years I have spent grooming you for your inheritance, I will forget and allow you freedom."