Chapter 5: Grecel

The manipulation of elements and advances required source material for manipulators. While elements like air were abundant, elements like fire required props to ensure manipulation could be carried out anywhere. The research corporation's magic division had been able to develop props to support the different magic types.

Reyes tossed Phina her sword. Fire manipulators required only a small flame to maximize the endless possibilities. Swords designed for fire allowed for the insertion of lighter fluid cartridges that produced a spark at the base of the blade. She rolled back the spark wheel on the hilt igniting a small flame above the guard which she spread to the fuller of the sword. The blade was instantly taken over by fire.

She stood before Zayd in the center of the grounds. Reyes Reyes sat cross-legged on the balance beam from the sidelines. "On guard!" he shouted. Zayd took his usual slanted stance while Phina held the sword vertical before her face. "Ready. Fight!"

Zayd lunged at her. Phina swooped under his attack and met his rods with her sword as she rose. She flashed her leg up and Zayd caught it, pushing her back. She stumbled backward into a backflip. Standing firm in her defense, she blocked his attacks. He sliced at her sword until he broke through her defense. Zayd held the rods up against her sword in a cross, trapping her where she stood. "You were involved with the accusation of Ayla using forbidden magic."

"No." Phina tried to push Zayd back. But he was immovable. "I would never."

Zayd lay the rods parallel before her sword, drawing the light from it, slowly extinguishing the flame. Phina stepped back slightly, then used her body weight for a strong push forward, forcing Zayd to jump back. She took the opportunity to restore her flames. Phina ran and swung her sword with poise and power in each swing. Zayd followed each one, blocking them with both hands.

"You asked of me to convince Ayla to give you another chance. After aiding her in her dark magic, she now is accused of using what is forbidden."

Her sweet tangerine eyes fell against his bitter gaze. "I had nothing to do with it." She changed her rhythm and attacked with a sudden uppercut. Zayd moved his head back a second shy of her attack. He had her sword blocked with one rod and grabbed hold of her hilt with the other hand.

"Someone else must have spread the lies. Perhaps your friend on the sidelines there," Phina nodded towards Reyes.

Zayd released the hilt and took a few steps back allowing her second chance at victory.

"Lady Phina!" Reyes shouted. "Proceed with surprise attacks."

Zayd drew for his second rod and took his stance. Phina tightened her grip on her flaming sword before her face.

"Ready. Fight!"

Phina ran in with her sword trailing behind her. She swung it upwards. With an added spin on its momentum, it flipped over as it approached Zayd from the side. He turned around avoiding the flames of the blade. She switched the sword hand and spun with him. With a flash of her sword, she sent fire towards him. Her side kick sent another wave his way. Zayd met her sword with the first rod and brought the second to her neck.

"Lady Phina!" a Lady called from the entrance. "We must be going."

"I must be going now. Please excuse me." Phina pushed Zayd off her.

Zayd leaned against the balance beam behind Reyes. "Was it her?"

Reyes' brown hair fell over his back, the ends brushing against the beam he sat on. He faced the grounds, leaning his head in his hand with his elbow resting against his folded legs. "Who else?" Not facing Zayd, his emotions were non-existent. "Not that she was foolish enough to leave behind any testament by approaching the Arc Mage herself, but talk of the black magic user was all her party spoke on. That in itself was enough for a search without a formal complaint. She saw you on your tour while you spoke with the commoner. Scolding her on the commoner's behalf was foolish."