Chapter 31: Visit

Students in blue uniforms gathered near the front gate of the academy tugging and pushing each other. They watched the carriage, curious to see who would come out. The black body sat atop a golden frame with golden wheels.

Waiting patiently from inside the privacy of the carriage, Ayla read through the week's paper. "Of all the warriors held captive and who carried out the mission, they say collectively, ninety-three died." An uncomfortable laugh escaped her and she shook her head. "They say seventy-five warriors went on the mission. I know for a fact, over one hundred went."

Zayd took the paper. "Don't read that. It will only upset you."

"They lacked the decency to take responsibility for even a hundred of those deaths. The real death tally I'm sure is closer to two-hundred. They lowered the death tally and upped the living, but in reality, not even thirty of the warriors who carried out the rescue, returned and remained alive. I saw the commander checking counts."

The military seemed less dirty than the royal guards, but they hid their tracks just as well. She stood at a three-way intersection of bad, worse and worst. Nothing seemed appealing and everything seemed wrong. Even sitting with Zayd as she did felt wrong. Holding onto secrets felt wrong. Pushing her worries aside felt wrong. Attending classes felt wrong. But for the time, more important things mattered than her, so she was willing to put aside her convictions for a while.

Kai emerged from the crowd. Students tugged at him, bombarding him with questions but he broke free and helped himself into the carriage.

"Could you find something more flashy?" he asked Ayla.

"It was all him." She pointed to Zayd.

Kai moved the curtains and looked out the window as the carriage started to move. "Sir," Kai greeted Zayd before turning to Ayla, "I have my dagger ready."

Ayla rolled her eyes but Zayd asked, "For what reason?"

"The she-demon." Watching Zayd's reaction, Kai assured him, "It ain't funny. Aren't yah nervous?"

"No."

"You should be. With only one leg, she's sure to be a worse grouch than before."

"Well, I do find her somewhat intimidating."

"Really?" Ayla turned to Zayd.

"Look there, Ay." Kai pointed out the window. "We can see the castle from here."

"Excuse him," she said. "He is just excited being in a carriage for the first time."

Clearing his throat, Kai released the curtain and turned back to face them. "Where was I?" He stroked his chin. "Yes. The she-demon. When we were young, we'd go to the forests to train with Ayla's father. There, she would beat me with the bamboo stick." He covered his face with his hands, shaking his head. "The memories still haunt me."

"Stop your lying!" Ayla shouted. "He exaggerates."

"You can tell she's lying from the wonky smile on her face." Kai moved the curtain back, peering outside again. "If you want to test it, follow as I do. Kyarra was the village bully before she left for the military. The venom runs in the family."

"That's why you are so violent." Zayd nudged Ayla.

She rammed her elbow into Zayd's side. "I'm not violent. They like to play around. Just avoid what Kai does and you'll be fine."

Kai looked at Zayd. "The truth for once. Don't let the leg fool yah. She'll find a way. Follow as I do and you'll see."

Ayla kicked Kai. "A nice way of saying nothing will break her spirit."