Chapter 36: The Hunter

Stella was on high alert, walking back alone to the cafeteria. She halted when she heard troops in the hallway speaking Ikaric. Eris walked by Stella and Stella hesitated before pulling Eris back. She mouthed to Eris that troops were on the other side of the hallway. The look Eris gave her, made Stella realize they would both rather be stuck with anyone else as company during an invasion.

They stared at each other for a while. Frizzy purple curls were held down by the bandage around Eris' head. It looked like she had been asleep when the announcements came in. With injuries like she had, she was forced to replace all the end of year partying with constant sleep from all her medication. They had never vocalized it to Ayla, but they were certain Ayla realized that even before she visited Arcus, these two girls never liked each other.

Stella pulled her green hair up out of her face with a tie, leaving a shaved undercut in the back. "Can you fight?" Stella mouthed to Eris.

Eris shook her head. "I have no water."

Two troopers appeared before them. Stella grabbed her spear from her back. A spell was casted and a wind dragon shot towards them. Stella shielded herself with her spear.

"Use your prop," Stella told Eris. "We been training for moments like these."

Reluctantly, Eris pulled an arrow from her quiver and fit it into her bow. She drew water from the crystal necklace she wore and encased the arrow in ice before firing it at the spell caster. The other trooper cut through the arrow and moved into a defensive position to protect the caster. Stella had her spear between the jaws of the wind dragon. Eris fired another arrow and it lodged in the caster's arm. He tried to pull it out but it was frozen in place.

Eris drew for another arrow and a strong burst of wind sent both girls flying across the hall. The ice melted and the dragon was now heading for Eris. Stella jumped before Eris and sliced the dragon and froze the water below their feet, trapping both men in place. Stella ran towards the troops. She whipped her sword again, creating a wind slice and the caster countered it, pushing her back and shredding her arms in the process.

With gaping eyes, Eris asked her, "When did you learn water manipulation?"

"Sir Reyes taught it to me."

Eris was in awe.

"We can't get near them. I can hold them off a little. Go find help."

Both Ayla and Stella were moving up in ranks with the help of nobility. Eris forced the thought out of her head and nodded.

Stella spun her spear like a windmill to create her own vortex since she knew no spells. It held the dragon back long enough for Eris to run.

Eris saw other students and convinced them not to run in the direction of the troops. They then ran into Phina and Arell Euleus, both of whom were not very pleased with their displays of cowardice. The Euleus Ladies proceeded in the direction of the troops; Phina with her flaming sword and Arell, a double sword wielder of dark magic.

They didn't have to go far before running into the troops. The dragon moved past Phina and Arell and went for the students. Arell sliced its head off with her sword. The moment the caster faltered to reform the dragon's head, Phina already had him engaging in close combat. Arell ran in, taking on the second trooper, not leaving him time to defend the spell caster.

The caster managed to push Phina back. She barked at the students to cover her since they were just watching the fight. Eris started to fire arrows at the enemies. The others joined in with their own long distance attacks.