Chapter 6

Jesse waited for Dr Tenney to walk out the room and for the door to close behind him. Abbey sat in her chair still.

"Whatever it is you're thinking right now, just stop" Jesse warned her

Abbey got up from her stool and walked around the room, her back to him

"Abbey look at me"

She turned to face him tears in her eyes.

"Abbey baby dont cry. I'm fine"

"You're fine. You're fine?! You're laying in a hospital bed, Jesse, hooked up to a heart monitor. With cardiomyopathy and a heart murmur."

"Dr Tenney said it was reversible"

"Yeah it can be but its not always that simple. Not if damage has already been done. And you've got a loud murmur in your aortic valve."

"But it can treated right?"

"Of course it can. But guess what? I put you here. I did this to you."

"You didn't. So stop thinking that."

"Jess we refer to it as broken heart syndrome, one of the causes is a painful or emotional breakup. I didn't believe you, I walked out, you begged me, pleaded with me to believe you and I didn't I left you and I did this to you"

" Ok yeah you want the truth? The last few weeks have been hell without you. That's true. But have you even noticed how I've been seen ive been here?"

"What?!"

"Look at the monitor Abbey. Just do it"

She reluctantly looked at his vitals on the monitor. She saw his heartrate was down to 79 and his blood pressure was up to 90/65

"Your vitals are improving"

"Yeah you know why? Because since ive been here, you've been with me. Dont you want me to get better?"

"Of course I do Jesse!"

"Then get over here and help me do that"

Abbey softly smiled at him. She walked over to his bedside and gently sat down beside him, facing him. He took her hand and they laced their fingers together.

"Come here" He tugged her forward and they gently but passionately kissed. He shifted her weight so she was now laying on the bed with him, her head nestled into his chest. He kissed the top of her head
"I love you"

"I love you too Jess so much" She could feel the soft thumping of his heart beneath her head. He ran his fingers through her soft auburn hair.

"You know what?" She looked up at him and waited for him to finish. "I kind of always wanted to be one of your patients.

She giggled. "You were. That's how we got here remember"

"Yeah but like this. So when they let me out of here, and we go home, you gonna take care of me at home?"

She smiled "oh yeah. I have the feeling you're going to have to take it easy for a while." She leaned up and kissed him again. "I missed this"

He closed his eyes and just nodded his head, taking in the moment. Suddenly he felt one of those twinges in his sternum. And the pain began to intensify. He groaned and brought his hand up to his chest.

Abbey sat up and could see the pain etched in his face.
"You're having chest pain arnt you?"
All he could do was painfully nod.

She gently caressed his chest. "Ok just focus on your breathing. Take deep breaths. It's ok"

Jesse breathed in the oxygen through his nose and focusing on breathing with his eyes closed.  Abbey ran a hand through his hair trying to keep him calm.

"Its ok, It'll pass soon" Jesse said.

Abbey hit the call button on Jesse's bed. "It's Dr Cooper. I need Dr Tenney is Jesse Soffer's room stat. And I need .6 mg of nitro"