Chapter 55

Monday June 30, 2025

Patrick and Marina stood in the doorway of Jesse and Abbeys house, with Maddie, who's 8 now, in front of them. Jesse and Abbey were getting ready to leave for the hospital. Jesse was holding Jaylee on his hip.

"It is way too early for you to be up don't you think Jaylee?" Abbey asked looking at her daughter.

"Mama I just can't sleep at a time like this" Jaylee answered her excitedly which earned a laugh from everyone.

"Ok well tell your mama bye." Jesse told her as he kissed her cheek and held Jaylee out to Abbey. Abbey leaned in and hugged and kissed her daughter on the cheek.

"Bye mama."

"Bye sweetie"

Jesse handed Jaylee over to Patrick.

"Everything will be fine. She'll be just fine here." Marina told them.

Patrick, Marina, and Maddie would be staying at Jesse and Abbeys house to take care of Jaylee while Abbey was in the hospital. Both Jesse and Abbey knew that Jaylee would be just fine while they weren't home.

"We better go. We'll be home in a few days" Jesse said.

"Bye Daddy, Bye Mama, don't come home without baby sister!!"

-----------------------------------------------------------

Jesse and Abbey were on their way to the hospital. Jesse was driving, but kept glancing over at Abbey. She was unusually quiet and just staring out the window. It was just barely 5 AM so everything was still pitch black outside. He reached over and grabbed Abbeys hand. She turned her head to look at him.

"Everything's going to be fine, Babe"

She nodded her head.

"I know that. It's just - "

"I know. I get it. I think about it too but we've come this far, ok? What happened with Jameson, it was horrible and we'll never get over it. NEVER. And no child will be able to replace him. But it doesn't mean that's what's going to happen every time."

She nodded her head again smiling, squeezing his hand.

"Yeah. We're going to be ok"

He pulled their hands up to his lips and kissed the back of her hand.

"I love you Babe."

"I love you too"

-----------------------------------------------------------

In the operating room, Jesse sat down right by Abbeys head during the c section holding her hand tightly. He bent down and placed a soft kiss on her temple. He moved his lips to rest in her earlobe.

"I love you so much"

Abbey smiled, squeezing onto Jesse's hand a little tighter.

"I love you too."

Just then the most amazing sound they had ever heard. They didn't even get this moment with Jaylee but they had it now listening to their newborn baby cry. Abbey breathed out a sigh of relief. And Jesse leaned up to kiss her, she wrapped her hand around his neck. A few moments later, a nurse brought their baby girl wrapped up in blankets to them.

"Here you go Dad" the nurse said as she placed their baby girl in Jesse's arms. He moved and held the baby where Abbey could touch her. And the baby instantly quieted down in her father's arms. Neither Jesse or Abbey could stop smiling. They'd dreamt of this day, prayed for this day, and now here they were with their second baby girl. Their precious rainbow baby.