Chapter 43

July 24, 2021

9:30 AM

"Okay"

Jesse grabbed the oven mitt off of her hand, grabbed the hot quiche with it and walked a few steps around her to get to the refrigerator and tossed the quiche in it, tossing the oven mitt on the counter. He grabbed a dish towel and layed it over where her water had broken. He looked around the kitchen, surveying and checking to make sure everything was off.

"Okay babe let's go"

"Where are we going?"

He just smiled at her.

"We're going to the hospital, babe."

"No we have time. We can't just leave. We've got to clean this up."

"Babe, I'm not worried about the floor. I'm getting you to the hospital now"

"No, there's dishes in the dishwasher. I need to unload. There's dishes in the sink. "

"Abbey, we can leave them. Let's go"

"No, Jess, I don't want to have to come home with a brand new baby and clean up the kitchen. Let me just - aaah!"

Abbey bent over with pain. He gently rubbed her back. Once the contraction had passed, he helped her stand up. And he cradled her face in his hands.

"Hey, look at me," Abbey focused her eyes on his, "it's going to be ok. Everything's going to be ok."

She nodded her head, tears forming in her eyes. Nobody could calm her like Jesse could.

"I will clean it up when we get home, i promise you. You won't even have to look at it. And I bet if I ask real nice, Paddy or Marina will come over and do it for us. So right now let's get you to the hospital ok"

"Ok"

He kissed her forehead

"Ok lets go"

He ushered out the door, grabbing their hospital bag and his keys on the way out. He helped her in his truck, shut the door, and rushed over to the drivers side and backed out of the driveway.

Abbey oftened wondered what Jesse would be like the minute she went into labor. If he would be one of those dad's that panicked even though they had talked everything through, had everything ready, and had a plan. She shouldn't have been surprised that he was completely clear headed, completely in control of the situation, the one keeping her calm.

He reached over and grabbed her hand as he calmly drove them to the hospital. He looked over at her. 

"Hey I love you"

She looked over at him and smiled

"I love you too"

"Hey she's going to be ok right?"

"What?"

"She's 4 weeks early. Is it ok for her to come now?"

"Oh yeah remember I told you anytime give or take 2 weeks. Most women never have their babies on their due date."

"Yeah I know. 2 weeks but this is 4 weeks."

"Its ok honey, I'm 2 days from being 36 weeks. She might just be a little small but everything will be fine. She's developed fully."

"Ok"

-----------------------------------------------------------

11 AM

Abbey was now admitted to the labor and delivery floor, hooked up to a fetal monitoring monitor and IVs. Jesse right by her side, holding her hand. When her OB Dr came in to speak with them.