Chapter 9

"Abbey?"

Abbey was curled up in a recliner beside Jesse's bed but the calling of her name snapped her out of the light slumber she was in, and she popped out of her chair to see Jesse coming to after his catheterization.

She rushed to his bedside. She took his hand with one hand and softly brushed his hair back with the other.

"Hey you. Welcome back" She softly kissed his forehead.

"Mmm. How long have I been out?"

"Several hours. How are you feeling?"

"Ok. Just tired. Abbey I'm so tired"

Abbey softly stroked his hair and forehead. "Ssh. Honey its ok. Go back to sleep. You need to rest."

"How did it go?"

Abbey smiled and nodded. "It was successful. We got the answers we needed. They're going to keep you overnight. Then I can take you home in the morning. Dr Tenney will be by in the morning to discuss everything."

"Do they know what's going on with my heart?"

"Yeah we do. We have a diagnosis now all we have to do is decide on a treatment but we'll figure all that out in the morning after you've had some rest."

"Ok. Come lay with me."

" I would love to but i can't. You've got to stay flat, straight, and still for a few more hours. I promise when I take you home I'll lay down with you though"

His eyes still closed, he smiled and nodded. "That sounds good."

"How are you feeling honey? Are you feeling any pain in your chest?"

He shook his head. "No I dont feel anything, I feel pretty good actually ."

"Ok good. They gave you extra sedatives during the procedure so it would relax your heart and keep you calm."

"Its working"

She smiled down at him as she continued to stroke through his hair and forehead.

"Honey you just rest. Your body needs it. " She softly kissed his forehead.

"Don't leave me"

"I'm not going anywhere. I'm right here. "

She sat on the edge of the bed near the head of his bed and leaned into him, continuing to run her hands through his hair. "How's this?"

"Good. But you're still worried."

She lightly chuckled.

"And how did you come up with that one? You haven't even opened your eyes"

I can feel it. I know you"

"Mmm. Wow you're good."

"Stop worrying. I'm gonna be fine"

Well the thing is not too long ago, I accepted the job of loving you for the rest of our lives. And unfortunately worry comes along with that. So just deal with it."

Jesse gave her one of his heart- stopping smiles. "Oh yeah. I remember that"

"Yeah. You better" She leaned down and kissed his forehead once again. "Jesse, rest. Stop fighting it or I'll get the nurse in here to sedate you again"

"Ok, ok. I'm resting. I love you."

"I love you too"

Within a few minutes, Abbey felt his breathing even out and his body still indicating he had fallen back asleep. She wanted him to rest as much as he could because in a few hours they had a big decision to make.