Chapter 14

A few days later, Jesse lay sleeping on the couch, his head in Abbey's lap while she worked on her laptop, the computer sitting on the arm of the couch.

She typed with her right hand and stroked through Jesse's dark hair with her left hand

She typed with her right hand and stroked through Jesse's dark hair with her left hand. Suddenly Jesse stirred.

"Hey sleeping beauty" Abbey moved her hand from her computer to lay it on his chest as he groaned and looked up at her.

"Sorry all I do lately is sleep"

"Jesse we've been through this. You're fatigued and you need to rest."

He slowly sat up facing Abbey on the couch.

"Yeah I know. I'm just not used to this"

Abbey looked at him sympathetically.
"I know honey. It won't be much longer before your surgery. And then a few months for you to recoup and then hopefully you'll start feeling normal again. But in the meantime, it's going to take some time getting used to. "

He nodded at her. And looked at her left hand, smiling at the ring he had put there the afternoon they came home from the hospital. He grabbed her hand and she smiled at him.

"How are you feeling?"

"Ok just tired"

"Jesse- "

"I feel ok for the most part. The meds they have me on seems to be working I guess. My heart isn't racing as much and I'm breathing ok for the most part. The pain and tightness comes and goes but it's nothing like it was not yet anyway. I guess the main thing is just the fatigue and lack of energy. "

She nodded.

"Do you think you'll feel up to going out somewhere for a little bit next week?"

" Yeah. I think I can manage. What are you working on?" He said, motioning his head to her laptop.

She smiled nervously.

"What?"

"Our marriage license"