Chapter 12

Jesse and Abbey were in Abbeys car, Abbey driving them back to their apartment.

Jesse was leaned back in his seat, his eyes closed and breathing deeply. Stopped at a red light, Abbey looked over at him. She reached her right hand over and gently touched the side of his neck.

"Hey you doing alright?"

He smiled and opened his eyes. He nodded and covered her hand with his.

"Yeah just tired. Why am I so tired?"

"Well you had a medical procedure and they gave you some heavy sedatives to keep you calm, that can make you feel rather tired for a day or two"

She returned her hand back to the wheel as Jesse shook his head.

"No even before that. It's like right before I have one of my episodes I get so tired all of a sudden and then after the episode I'm just exhausted for what seems like forever"

"Well fatigue is a symptom of heart valve failure. What you're feeling isn't just being tired or sleepy its fatigue. And when you feel that way you just have to give in to it, you have to rest."

"Yeah I know."

"I get that this is a big adjustment for you. And it's going to be hard for you but I'm serious Jesse. You heard what Dr Tenney said, you've got to take it extra easy these 2 weeks before your surgery. You've got to be on bedrest the rest of the day and probably tomorrow"

"Yeah baby i know that but he said once I heal from the Cath to still take it easy but not to just lay around all day that I need to exercise because of blood clots"

"Jesse by exercise he means walking around from the living room to the kitchen, getting up several times a day to grab a bottle of water out the fridge not your kind of exercise, no gym, no runs"

"Oh well don't worry i don't think I would even try the gym or the run right now"

"Well I wont have to worry because my furlough was approved. I do have to work a few shifts that they couldnt get covered but it's only like 2 over the next 2 weeks"

"I'm glad you're going to be home with me but I hate you're having to take time off, I'm sorry"

Abbey looked over at him.

"I'm not. You know I'm going to get you through this, right?"

Jesse smiled tightly.

"Jess, it's not because I think I have to or its what I should do, its because I love you and I know you would be doing the same thing if it were me"

"I would Abs. I would take care of you."

"I know you would and you do. All the time. You've taken care of me by loving me the way you do."  She took her hand off the steering wheel and placed her hand on his leg, he grabbed her hand and held it. They both looker at each other lovingly.

"We're going to get through this and everything's going to be ok. "

"I know it will. I feel better knowing you'll be here through all of it. I don't think I could do it without you."

"You won't ever have to. " Abbey took a deep breath and let out her confession. "Jess I don't want to wait a long time to get married. "

Jesse breathed out in relief. "Oh thank God. As soon as all this is over, can we just do it? Can we just get married?"

"Abbey smiled brightly. "Yes. Absolutely."

Abbey pulled into the parking garage of their apartment building.