Chapter 40

FEBRUARY 15, 2021

After 4 weeks in the hospital, Jesse was finally getting the all clear to go home. Of course he wasn't getting the clear to return to his normal way of living. That would take time. But he was graduating from living the past month in a hospital to living in their bedroom vegging on Netflix and living on pain pills and other various medications.

He was awake before the normal wake up time, partly because of the poor pain management but mostly because today was discharge day.

No matter the task, everything was ok because they were going home. He took the central line removal like a champ because they were going home. IVs taken out one by one was nothing to it because they were going home. The pacing wires were a different story but it was still ok because they were going home. The tons of wires and monitoring pieces being removed was tiring but all was good because they were going home. He had three of them still on around his heart that had to stay on until he signed his discharge papers. Dressing was the biggest, tiring part of his morning but Abbey and Jesse got it done with a little help from Abbeys dad Liam because they were going home.

For awhile, Jesse didn't think he'd ever get to this point, he was sure he'd get talked into yet another month of staying here. But here he was, sitting on the side of the bed just waiting on those precious discharge papers.

Abbey zipped up their duffel bag, also ready for Jesse's discharge and turned to look at her husband. When their eyes locked, they both smiled. His because Abbey was now 13 weeks, and while she may not have been visably pregnant to everyone, but she was definitly showing to Jesse, who knew her body inside and out. They had had another ultrasound at 12 weeks and everything was still going to plan. Both Abbey and baby girl Soffer were perfectly healthy.

And her smile came from just looking at her husband. Looking at him now, you'd never know he was knocking on death's door just a month ago. He had changed dramatically, all for the good. In 4 weeks time, he had learned how to breathe on his own again, able to withstand the greatest amounts of pain he'd ever been in. He could now sit on his own after recieving help getting up. And from that point could stand up and stay in place on his own. Walking was still his trouble area, Abbey had him up everyday walking around the nurses station to prevent blood clots and he was getting better at it but still the pain could only be managed in small increments far from the guy who would run 5 miles 4 days a week. But overall, he was doing incredible. And Abbey couldn't be prouder of him and was excited to see what the future held for them.

"Where is Tenney?"

"He said he had another patient, He'll be here don't worry. I'm going to go and get the car and pull it around. That way we're not held up. The Wind chill is -5 out there. "

"Oh. I haven't missed that"

"Says the boy from New York. We only see snow every 5 years back in South Carolina"

"Go on, I'll be fine."

"No need. I already pulled it around for you. " Leah said from the doorway.

"Thanks Leah" Jesse thanked her.

"Anything for my favorite brother in law. Tenneys on his way by the way"

Abbey and Jesse both smiled and shook their heads at Abbeys sister before Abbey looked over at Jesse.

"How are you? How's the pain?"

"Sore. A little tight, but a lot better."

"Good. Do you want me to help you sit against the pillows while we wait?"

Jesse thought about it and wondered if he could maintain this position for several moments for. But in the next intake of breath, when the slow, stabbing pain rolled in that he nodded his head. Jesse lifted his legs so Abbey could swing him back in line with the bed to him back against the pillows. They'd done it so many times over the last week that it was like second nature to them now, they had it down to a science.