Chapter 7

"Hey just hang on. We're going to make it better," Abbey said as she gently rubbed Jesse's chest. She glanced over at the monitor and surveyed his vitals. She grabbed her stethoscope and placed it in her ears, and then listened to Jesse's heart.

Jesse kept his eyes closed as Abbey sat beside him listening to his heart. The pain was etched on his face. Just then the door swung open and Dr. Ryan Tenney came in.

"What's going on?" He asked

"He started having an episode. He's throwing PVCs "

"Jesse, how's your chest pain. Scale from 0-10" Dr Tenney asked.

"Um I guess like a 4" Jesse answered

Abbey looked at him seriously. "Jesse answer honestly please. That's the only way we can make this better for you."

"Ok maybe more like a 7" he answered as Abbey placed the stethoscope back around her neck.

"Tightness in your chest? " Dr Tenney asked his patient.

Jesse nodded painfully. "Yeah and its heavy. Feels like a weight on my chest. It usually goes away by now. "

" So the episodes seem to get longer?"

"Yeah"

Abbey looked over at Ryan. "He needs nitro. And then I want to increase his oxygen" She realized what she was doing and held her hands up. "I'm sorry. I'm backing off, He's your patient"

Ryan chuckled as he walked to the other side Jesse's hospital bed. "No it's ok, you're making the right call, same ones I would make. And I've got the nitro." He handed Abbey a packaged tablet. She nodded as she tore open the small packet. She took the small tablet out.

"Ok, open your mouth," she instructed Jesse. He did as he was told. "Im going to stick this under your tongue. I want you to close your mouth and keep your lips tight and let it dissolve. It will help you feel better. "

Jesse nodded as Abbey slipped the pill under his tongue, and he quickly shut his mouth and pursed his lips tightly together.

Dr Tenney leaned over the bed and placed his stethoscope on Jesse's chest to listen. Abbey stood up from the bed and grabbed an oxygen mask, she unhooked the oxygen tubes to Jesse's nasal cannula and hooked it up to the oxygen mask she held in her hand. She removed the cannula from Jesse's nose and placed the oxygen mask over his face.

Jesse opened his eyes and looked at Abbey. That was the thing with them. They often didn't need words, they could communicate just be simple looks. She was glad to know that hadn't changed. She knew he wasn't pleased with the oxygen mask on his face.

"I know, I know

"I know, I know. Just let the nitro take effect and the extra oxygen will help to. Once your episode passes, we can switch out the mask for the cannula again."