Chapter 39

Today was chest tube removal day. Abbey had seen hundreds of chest tubes removed, she had removed dozens herself. But to see long, bloody drains pulled out of her husband's chest was enough to make her stomach churn. She wanted to turn away but it was Jesse's face that kept her in place. He was clearly in pain, panicked over what was happening. Leah was there trying her best to coax him, and Ryan was telling him how good he was doing but nothing was easing Jesse's pain.

"Abbey" Jesse called from the bed.

Abbey held on to his hand a little tighter.

"I'm right here sweetheart. I'm here you're doing so good. I love you"

"I love you too"

"Okay! Stitches are done, just keep trying to not move anything right there. Pacing wires come out before discharge in a few days. You did great" Ryan praised.

Jesse began to relax thinking his torture was done for the day, or so he thought. Becuase as soon as Dr Tenney left the room, Abbey began pulling down his blankets.

"Babe what are you doing?"

"Its time for you to sit in the chair for awhile"

"Oh please tell me you're joking"

"Its just for a little bit, Jesse"

He nodded his head, knowing this was another milestone he had to make. Abbey helped him sit and he swung his legs over to the side of the bed and she sat him up.

"You good?"

"Yeah just a little dizzy"

"That's to be expected for awhile"

She handed him his heart pillow.

"Hold on to this while we move you"

She helped him up, he gripped onto his heart pillow and the 2 steps to the chair were much easier this time although it did tire him out. Abbey held Jesse forward as she placed pillows behind his back, making sure he was comfortable. She knelt down to him, taking his hand.

"I am so proud of you, you're doing so good"

"It doesn't feel like it sometimes. I hate having to need help to do the simplest things"

"I know that but that's just part of it, things will get better with time. In the meantime you need to lean on us."

Jesse nodded his head, looking at Abbey lovingly as he squeezed her hand.

"Actually since you're up I have something for you"

He looked at her questionably as Lexi rolled in an ultrasound machine.

"What? More tests?"

"Not for you."

Abbey hopped up on his vacant hospital bed and he smiled as she lifted up her shirt knowing what was about to happen. She reached over and grabbed his hand as Lexi set everything up.

"Ok Dr Soffer, it's gonna be a little cold," Lexi informed as she squirted the gel on Abbeys stomach.

Abbey reached over and grabbed Jesse's hand. He gave her that look of his with those sparkling blue eyes, that look of pure love he gives her.

Lexi placed the ultrasound wand on Abbeys abdomen and moved it around.

"And there is your healthy baby" Lexi confirmed.

"So everything's ok? The baby's ok?" Jesse asked.

"It looks just perfect. Its still a little too early to tell the gender but everything looks great" Lexi rubbed the wand around a little until the the sound of Jesse and Abbeys baby's heartbeat filled the room.

Abbey looked over at her husband. As still exhausted and crappy as he felt, he had never been happier in his life. Tears were forming in his eyes. If he could move he would get up from that chair and move to Abbey, take her in his arms and kiss her. But he couldn't so he just squeezed her hand continuously and that's all Abbey needed.

"Heartbeat is good and strong. Perfectly healthy"

"Thank you for doing this Lexi" Abbey said.

"Of course Dr Soffer" Lexi cleaned up Abbeys stomach and quietly left with the ultrasound machine.

Abbey pulled her shirt back down and hopped off the bed. She knelt down by Jesse's bed.

"Hey how you doing?"

"Great. I love you. Both of you"

He held his hand out for her to take and of course she did as she returned his loving gaze.

"We love you too"

She leaned in to softly kiss him. He squeezed onto her hand as he kissed her back. It wasn't quite like the kissing they did when they were alone, but it was enough in the moment and exactly what they both needed. Only when the heart monitor started beeping faster did Abbey pull away, and that mischievous grin on Jesse's face.

"Just a little something to tie you over the next 6 weeks." Abbey offered

"Yeah just don't kill me in the process" he joked back.

Abbey reclined the chair putting Jesse in a lying position to take strain off of his heart. A nurse quickly appeared asking what was wrong as they kept looking over at the screen. Jesse was lying back in the chair as they all watched his heartbeat tick faster and faster, till his heart stopped teasing him and went back down slowly to its normal rate. Meds were administered into his IV port and Jesse was encouraged to rest. He nodded and let out a deep breath, closing his eyes. Abbey softly caressed his hair back.

"Sorry"

This earned a smiled from Jesse.

"It was worth it," he said squeezing her hand.

"See this is why we can't do anything for awhile"

"Noted"

"I hear you two have been causing problems" Abbey looked up and saw her sister standing in the doorway. "I was with another patient when Jesse's heart monitor started alerting"

"We're good now" Jesse said not opening his eyes.

"Glad to hear it. You two behave" Leah said as she left his doorway.

Abbey stood up and placed a blanket over him and leaned down and kissed his forehead.

"Rest"

"Love you Abbey" He said as she tucked the blanket around him.

"I love you too Jess and I promise not to attempt to kill you anymore"

"Sounds like a plan"

He was out like a light in no time, the only sound in the room was the monitors and their beeping sounds and the quiet sounds of Jesse's breathing. Abbey pulled a chair up to Jesse's and sat there beside him. Just watching him peacefully sleep. All was right in her world, her husband was on the mend and their baby was healthy. She just couldn't wait to get him home.