Chapter 45

Jesse sat in the recliner beside Abbeys bed cradling their baby girl, so enamored in her. He had just fed and burped her again and was just watching her sleep. She had barely even slept in her hospital crib. She had for the most part lived most of her short existence in Jesse's arms because he just couldn't bear to put her down.

He was so captivated by her that he almost missed the softest sound. But he didn't he heard it. The sound he had been waiting 36 hours to hear.

"Jess"

Jesse froze for all of a split second, cradling his newborn baby girl protectively in his arms. Looking over, he saw small movements coming from Abbeys bed. He quickly jumped up and carefully and gently layed the baby back in her hospital bassinet. Once he was sure, she was okay and sleeping soundly he rushed to Abbeys bedside.

"Jess" Abbey called for him again.

"I'm right here baby"

Jesse perched himself up on Abbey's hospital bed facing her taking her hand in his. He leaned forward placing his palm on her cheek. She looked up at him and made eye contact with him. He could feel tears welling up in his eyes. He was so damn happy she was awake.

"I thought I lost you for awhile there" he said, his voice coming out hoarse and full of emotion.

"I came back" her voice barely above a whisper, a result of a combination of the anesthesia and her body being weak from the blood loss.

He emotionally nodded his head, leaning forward and kissing her forehead first, then the bridge of her nose, working down to her lips. He kept peppering soft kisses all over her face while cradling her face in his strong hands. He just couldn't stop kissing her or touching her.

"You scared the hell out of me. Don't ever do that again." He said, his voice just a touch stern this time.

Abbey cracked a smile, still tired and weak from the placenta abruption and surgery.

"I guess now we're even"

He shook his head.

"Lets not keep score" he replied.

He reached over and pushed the call button on her hospital bed remote, realizing she needed to be checked out now that she was awake for the first time.

A look of panic suddenly appeared across her face.

"The baby?!" She asked desperately.

"She's fine. Perfect. Absolutely perfect and beautiful, " he said nothing but fatherly pride on his face. Her smile matched his as she nodded.

"She's ok then?" She asked.

"She's great"

Just then a team of nurses and her doctor appeared in the room to check Abbey over. Her doctor explained to Abbey what had happened during her labor with the placenta abruption and having to rush her into emergency surgery to perform an emergency c-section in order to safely deliver their daughter and attempt to save her from massive blood loss. Once everything had been explained and Abbey had been assured that her daughter was perfectly healthy and that she would recover in time with rest, and the medical team had checked over Abbeys vitals, they had all left the room giving Abbey and Jesse some time alone.

As soon as the door was shut, Jesse took his place back at the end of Abbeys bed facing her, taking her hand.

"How do you feel?"

She gave him a faint smile.

"I'm ok. Tired, sore but I'm alright. That wasn't exactly the birth plan I had in mind"