Chapter 44

Jesse sat there for a few minutes trying to collect himself. All he could think about was This isn't how it's supposed to be. He fought hard throughout his cardiac ordeal to come back to Abbey, just to now be faced with the possibility of now losing her and their baby.

He went over in his head the possible 3 scenarios that he was about to be faced with:
1. They were going to lose their daughter. The daughter they were so happily awaiting her arrival. He didn't know how they could come back from this, losing the child they had created in love but they would. He would do whatever Abbey needed of him.
2. He was going to lose Abbey, his wife, his soulmate, the absolute love of his life. And he would be left to raise their daughter alone. He would be left with a reminder of the woman he loved like no other every day of his life.
3. He would lose them both. He mind could not even go there. He couldn't bear to think that thought of being left alone. Of having to go home to an empty house, to sleep alone in their bed, to reminders of Abbey all over their house, to a fully decorated nursery that would be of no use.

No, no, no, no, no. He just couldn't go there. He picked up his phone and went to the most familiar number in his phone index and hit the FaceTime button.

Immediately his mother's kind smile lit up the screen. Within seconds, each of his younger sisters faces were on each side of his mother.

"Its about time. My God, poor Abbey she's been in labor all day. It's almost midnight over there" Shayne exclaimed

"Yeah! What's the news?! I'm surprised I haven't heard from Paddy yet. Do I have a niece?" Jenna asked.

But the expression on his mother Jill's face suddenly changed. She knew something was wrong by the look on her oldest child and only son's face

"Jesse? Jesse, honey, what's wrong?"
She asked him.

Suddenly his two sisters faces mirrored their mothers. Jesse just shook his head.

"Mom"

"Honey talk to me. Where's Abbey?"

"She's in surgery."

"They took her for a cesarean section?" his mother, a nurse practitioner, asked.

He could only nod.

"You didn't go with her?" Jenna asked.

Jesse shook his head.

"No. I couldn't." He turned his phone around and showed them the blood puddles still sitting in the room.

The faces of the brunette, redhead, and blonde all paled.

"Jesse? Honey what happened? Talk to me, Jess!"

"It happened so fast. She had been in labor all day. She was tired, she was just ready for it all to be over, but she was doing so good and I kept telling her that. She had been pushing almost an hour, I guess it was just too much for her, but we were so close, she went to push again, and that's when everything started happening, she started getting weaker, and she started bleeding. The doctor said it was a placenta abruption..."

Both Shayne and Jenna looked at their mother, waiting for a medical explanation of what happened to their sister in law and neice.

"She said if they didn't get Abs into surgery right away I could lose them both. So i signed the consent and she was gone"

"Ok Jesse, listen to me. The doctor was right. Placenta Abruption is very serious. And the best option for both Abigail and your daughter was to take them and perform a csection to remove the baby as soon as possible so they can stop the bleeding in Abbey just like they had to remove your gallbladder appendix and spleen when you had your surgery to prevent you from bleeding out"

"Mom, I just need you to be honest with me here. What am I looking at here?"

"Ok well best case scenario they perform the c section, deliver the baby, deliver the placenta, and they're able to stop the bleeding and they will both be fine within time. Abbey may need a few transfusions"

"And the worst case scenario? I lose them both right?"

"That is a possibility. But that is absolute worst case. Let's just pray it doesn't come to that honey. But I will warn you. Jesse, they may come back out and you need to make another decision."

"That I would have to choose between my wife and daughter. And I have to live with that decision for the rest of my life"

"Not necessarily but like i said before they had to remove some of your non vital organs in order to stop your bleeding. They may have to do that for Abbey as well honey, meaning her uterus, possibly her cervix"

"So they might need to do a hysterectomy."

"Yes that is a strong possibility in those type of situations."

"But if they do that, then she might be ok."

"Yes, again that's a possibility. She will probably have to be transfused with the blood that she lost but she should be able to make a full recovery"

Jesse just nodded.

"Ok. I uh I need to go find Leah and Paddy. They have no idea what's going on. And um I need to call Liam. Let him know what's going on."

"Ok honey, just keep us posted. I love you. And Abbey."

"Love you too"

"Love you Jess" "Yeah love you" his sister's echoed.

"Love you guys too. I'll call later."

He disconnected the call and got up to go find his extended family in the waiting room.