Chapter-42

Lauren Hart

The day we all had been waiting for had finally arrived. The day of the trial.

Sean, Ryan, and I stood outside the court, waiting for grandma and our rivals to arrive. Yes, we were early since Sean couldn't wait to get this over with. While waiting, I observed Sean. He had an impatient look on his face was glancing at his watch from time to time. While Ryan kicked the small stones, probably in boredom, totally unfazed by the gravity of the situation. How would he know? He's just five years old kid.

And my eyes longed to see Sean's parents. Behind my peaceful and calm expressions were a chaos of unsettling thoughts. Would they come, or would they again neglect their family?
What would it cost them to be their family? I would be very disappointed if they did not show up.

Within a while, a luxury white car stopped and Samantha and Levi stepped out. Samantha eyed Ryan, who now hid at my back, not wanting to see her.

Samantha stepped towards him and I blocked her way. She smirked at me then peered at Ryan by tilting her head. "Don't hide from me, Ryan. I am your mother, the court will decide in our favor today."

"Don't have high hopes," Sean exclaimed, coming and standing in front of me. "Don't forget who you are competing with."

"I don't know what you have against me which is making you confident about your win. Do remember that no one can separate a mother from her child." She glared at him. "See you inside the court." With that, she walked past us not before shooting daggers at me. Levi too flashed a smirk in our direction and followed the bitch.

"I don't want to be with her." Ryan's broken voice caused me to look down at him. Sean turned towards us and looked at Ryan. "You will not Ryan, I promise." He promised him. I didn't miss the exchange of smiles between them.

Within a while, a luxurious white car stopped near us. One of the backdoors of the car opened revealing grandma's face. She stepped out and stood by the car. Ryan rushed to her and Sean and I was about to approach her when the door of another side opened, halting us from moving, and Mrs. Peterson stepped out.

A broad smile of relief appeared on my face after the shock which I concealed effortlessly.
Finally, someone has got the sense! Guess, Mr. Peterson required to be given more classes. Hmpf... will do that!

I saw Sean who had gone stiff and was staring at his mother in surprise, not believe what he was watching. "M...mom?"

With a smile, Mrs. Peterson approached Sean and stood before him. "What? Weren't expecting me to be here?" She grinned and tilted her head to look at me. I nervously waved at her with a smile, she responded with a sweet smile and mouthed 'thank you'. I held my chuckle for not making a scene there.

Sean shifted uncomfortably on his feet, glancing back at me and gave me a confused look, I shrugged at him, giving him the same confused look while holding my smile.

I did not know anything about it, did I? I was equally surprised as Sean. Period.

My impishness died down and an actual intense shock of high voltage struck me when I saw Mr. Peterson stepping out of the car. No freaking way!

"D...dad?!" Sean too couldn't hold his surprise.

"Yes, it's me. Let's go inside and get this over with." Mr. Peterson responded, having a hint of gentleness in his voice.

He acknowledged me by giving me a nod and I became a jellyfish. I mentally squealed and imagined myself jumping in the pool of balloons. Aaaa, Mission Accomplished!