Chapter-32

Sean Peterson

"I apologize on behalf of my daughter if she ever misbehaved."

My head whipped in Lauren's father's way in surprise. It was morning and were walking to the car repair shop to bring my car back since it was within walking distance.

"Why did you assume that she has ever misbehaved? What if she didn't?" I asked.

To be honest, I didn't like their way of parenting. They were discouraging to the highest extent. They had hurt Lauren in the worst way possible and never realized it.

I could feel her pain because I had been through that as well. My parents had been ignorant of me. For them, money and status come first. But at least Lauren's parents weren't ignorant yet it didn't mean what they had been doing to her was the best. It wasn't.

"Oh, we have raised her before our eyes. We know how sometimes—most of the times she gets out of hands." He chuckled as if he had cracked a joke. What a pitiful life Lauren might have lived growing up.

"Well, you shouldn't assume. Your daughter is the best the way she is. You know she's not going to change her ways so why not accept that instead? Maybe it'll be better for you all." I commented casually.

Honestly, I was no one to interfere in their family matters but when I saw the broken Lauren, I felt a tug at my heart. I had no idea that a chipper, lively, and crazy girl had been fighting with the demons of society that too alone. I admired her for that. The judgment she had been through, she could have given up but she didn't, instead, she emerged out stronger than one could ever think.

While walking, Jordan stared at me as though figuring what I had said. He didn't utter a word against what I said because maybe he knew I was right. I too didn't try to continue the conversation as I thought what I had said was enough on my part.

I took my car from the repair shop and drove back to the house. There, Jordan went inside the house, and I remained outside when I saw Laura stepping out of her house, waving at me. I hadn't seen both the sisters since I woke up.

"Good morning. Where's Lauren?" I asked as I passed her a smile. She smiled back.

"Good morning and Lauren has gone to meet our neighbor."

"Oh!" I raised my eyebrows. "Favorite people?"

She laughed. "Oh, no, no, no." She then shook her head in amusement. "More like a favorite dog. Jackie, our neighbor's dog used to be her friend, and when I told her he's is still there she couldn't wait to meet him."

I chuckled while shaking my head too. That's Lauren we are talking about. I didn't have anything else to ask her or say to her and most importantly, I didn't want Lauren to go jealous again by seeing her sister together with me. So, I excused myself and went to my car and for no reason, I began checking it for nothing.

No one could see it but my eyes were gleaming when I remembered Lauren's jealous face. I had a bit of idea that she surely felt something for me. And her jealousy confirmed it.

"She's sensitive."

I sharply turned around when I heard Laura's voice behind me. My confusing gaze studied her and I raised my brows.

"Lauren." She muttered as she crossed her arms behind her back and took steps towards me. "She may not show it but she easily gets hurt." She stopped at a hand distance from me.

"Yeah. Just got to know it last night." I muttered the last statement under my breath.

"I...I..." She stuttered as she pushed her hair strands behind her ear. Then she sighed and looked directly into my eyes.