Chapter-15

Lauren Hart

"I do care."

His words, our close faces, our almost touching lips...were enough to disrupt my sleep. I had been up since three in the morning and since then I had been twisting and turning in my bed.

For a second I thought his words were meant for me but he had to ruin my tiny magical moment by adding another statement: For everyone around me; be it my employees, my friends, or my family. I do care.

By adding that statement he made it clear to me that I wouldn't ever be special to him. Forget him; I won't ever be on anyone's special scale.

What did I lack? Why I couldn't get someone I want?

"Ugh, Lauren, don't cry over it as it isn't new for you. You have to fight hard to find the one for you." I chided myself and removed the cover from my body in frustration. I sat up and glanced at the wall clock to find its hands indicating 6:00 am. Sleepily, I stood up from the bed and the first thing I noticed was my ankle; it wasn't painful anymore. Satisfied, I went into the bathroom, and only came out when I had done my daily routine and had showered.

At fifteen past seven, I went downstairs only to find the rest three of them sitting in the living room with sad expressions. What happened to them? I wondered.

"Good morning everyone. What happened? Why all of your faces are dropped? Ra— Oh goodness, Ryan, why are you crying?" I rushed to him and knelt in front of him, cupping his face.

"Grandma is leaving." He cried. I turned my head in her direction with a confused expression.

She sighed. "Lauren, I got a call from one of my close friends and she said she'll be leaving for Texas for good to live with her son. She needs me there for her farewell party which is tonight, so I have to leave now. I can't bring Ryan with me as I won't be able to look after him and besides, Sean wants him to stay with him."

"Oh," That's all I could say. I then glanced at Mr. Peterson who was continuously looking at Ryan in worry.

"Ryan come here." He said and pulled him on his lap. "Ryan, don't you like it here, huh? You have me and your friend here. Don't you wanna spend time with us? Don't you wanna play with us?" Don't you like us?" He asked him politely. He really loved his nephew.

"I love it here, but...but I want to stay with three of you. I don't want anyone to leave. I'll miss her." Ryan sobbed. Aww!

Grandma reached for him and held his hands. "Ryan, sweetheart, I have to leave, please understand. I will never leave you alone but you know that your uncle and Lauren will love you more than me. They'll not let you miss me." She consoled him but the kid didn't stop sobbing.

I stood up and knelt in front of Mr. Peterson as Ryan was sitting on his lap. I wiped his tears and cupped his face. "Hey, buddy, stop crying then I'll tell you something interesting."

"What?" He sobbed again.

"First stop crying otherwise I won't tell you." I playfully narrowed my eyes. It took a few seconds for him to stop completely then he wiped his tears with his hands and attentively looked at me. "Now tell me."

I smiled widely. "Okay, first tell me, if I call you for my birthday party will you come or not?"

"I will." He nodded his head.

"Now, if I tell you I'm shifting to another city or country and will not return ever. Then will you come to my goodbye party to meet me for the last time or not?" I asked.

"I don't want you to leave." He exclaimed and his lips started to tremble again. I squeezed his cheeks. "I'm not leaving but in case I do you'll come right?" He nodded his head.