Chapter-3

Sean Peterson

"Then go bring me the reports."

After a moment of staring at me, she finally left to bring me the reports. It would be childish If I had fired her for her not so negligible mistake. Being an efficient employee earned her my forgiveness. I was mature enough to know what to keep and what to let go. I was running a business, not a circus.

"The reports, sir." Miss Hart came and kept the file on my desk. I picked it up to read but stopped when I saw her still standing in the same position.

"You want something?" I inquired, raising my eyebrows.

"Uh, I wanted to say thank you. Thank you for not firing me. The thought was giving me a headache and I was thinking where would I go if I don't have a job? I —"

"Miss Hart, it's fine. You may leave." I said a bit louder because I knew she wouldn't shut her mouth till I do not say it to her strictly.

"Oh, yeah. Sure, sir. Thank you again."

I sighed in relief when she marched out. Why does she speak so much?

I again began to read the documents and a few moments later I received a phone call from the one to whom I hadn't talked for a long time.

"Hey, Grandma," I mumbled, rubbing my forehead because I knew I was going to get an earful.

"Sean, this kind of behavior wasn't expected from you. What have you become? Don't you care about this old lady who has her eyes stuck to the door, waiting for her grandson?" She rebuked.

Yep, I hadn't visited for years now.

"Sorry, Grandma. Work keeps me busy." I sighed.

"Don't give me excuses as I know your reasons. Listen, for the first time I'm asking you to not care about all that happened, and please come to see me. I have something important to discuss with you." She said softly almost tiredly. There was something unusual in her voice that made me worry about her.

"Are you okay?" I inquired.

She sighed. "I'm perfectly fine, for now, but this isn't about me. If possible, I want you to visit me today as this talk can't be delayed. I'm waiting for you. Don't disappoint me this time."

And she hung the call, leaving me confused,  worried, and distressed. I hoped she's okay. I wasn't able to think straight. I loved my grandma dearly but she asked me to visit the place I detested the most. She asked me to visit the place once I called my home. She wanted me to visit the people who tossed me into the loneliness and most importantly, where I won't ever find the one dear to me.

The mere thought of them was enough to turn my mood sour. Sighing, I picked up the documents again to divert my mind but the door of my office burst open and I didn't have to raise my eyes to see who had entered without knocking.

"Oh, come on Sean babe, rest for a while. Too much work will give you grey hair."

I chose to ignore Daniel's irrelevant comment and continued to read the document.

"What's the document?" Xavier asked, sitting on the chair on the opposite side of my desk. Daniel sat on another chair beside him.

"Accessories sales report of the month. And I need to upgrade the security system just to not let you two in without knocking." I muttered annoyingly.

"Wanna hide you funny businesses from us?" Daniel wiggled his eyebrows and I threw glares at him.

"Talking of security, I just remember..." Xavier poked, sitting straight in his chair. "I think we should change our security software."