Chapter-31

Lauren Hart

Sitting under the tree that has absorbed my silent cries and pleadings over the years brought the painful memories back. This was the same spot where I used to sit when and talk to the tree for hours when I was upset because there was no one to listen to me.

My heart became heavy and I bit my lower lip to stop myself from crying. I hadn't let out my tears since the day I left my parents and see the irony of situations; I was back at the same spot, about to cry for the exact same reason I used to before.

"Be strong, Lauren. Be strong for yourself." I said to myself. But this time my brain refused to listen to me and my tears were on the verge of flowing and I had almost surrendered to the brain when I felt a presence beside me. I immediately blinked back the tears and crossed my arms across my chest without looking at the person beside me.

"Done flirting with my sister?" My tone came out heavy but clipped.

"Flirt?" He seemed surprised. "I was having a pure conversation with her...wait!" Sean grabbed my chin and turned my face to him. "Are you jealous?"  He asked with a hint of mischief.

But I wasn't in the mood to joke. I swatted his hand and looked away, not answering anything.

"Wh— Lauren look at me." He ordered gently but I didn't comply. I heard him sigh then he grabbed my hand. "Listen, Lauren, I was having a normal conversation with her where she was telling me about the family business and...and if you felt upset and hurt because of that then..." He squeezed my hand.

"I am sorry. I apologize for hurting you. It wasn't intentional."

My heart skipped several beats at a time. Him apologizing to me was a whole new thing. Honestly, I forgave him the moment sorry left his mouth because neither Laura nor Sean had even an ounce of feelings for each other. It was all outer. But my insecurities had already taken a toll on me. I had always been left out; it's not new to me.

When I didn't reply for a while and refused to look at him I heard him exhale a heavy breath. "Now I get the problem. You are insecure!"

My head whipped in his direction, my eyes showing complete astonishment. How did he know? 

He gently smiled at me and raised his hands. I back away a little but he caught my face between his warm palms. "You feel insecure with your sister, don't you?" He asked softly. I couldn't form words.

"You don't have to!" He exclaimed and chuckled. "Insecurities arise when one is afraid of being left out...and I am not giving up on you." He winked.

Scoffing, I slapped his hands away. "For how long will this attraction of your last? Huh?"

He frowned at my outburst.

"Didn't you see what I did back there?" I asked. "Didn't you listen to what my mother said about me? I am crazy and do stupid things! Everyone is tired of my unusual ways; everyone leaves me. Sooner or later, you are going to leave too then better do it now! Save yourself from embarrassment I may bring to you!"

I cried out in one breath, my chest heaving heavily. I had said something I kept concealed inside me for so long; my fear of being dumped again.

After my outburst what I didn't expect was Sean's silence. His eyes were focused on me, studying me, but his lips remained sealed.

"Is this what you think about me?" He asked after a long silence. I averted my eyes. "Tell me, Lauren... did I ever complain anything? Did I ever mock you for your behavior? Did I agree to whatever your mother said? Look at me!" He raised his voice a little, making me flick my eyes to him. He turned his body completely to me and pinned my eyes.