Chapter-25

Lauren Hart

"What exactly happened to you? Since the minute you stepped in the house last night you have been roaming like a dead body. What exactly happened on your business trip?"

With messy hair, droopy eyes, dry lips, hung shoulders, I walked past Christy to the kitchen without replying.

She was right. I looked like the walking dead. Lifeless inside out.

I sat at our foldable small four-seater multipurpose table and grabbed the mug of coffee she had prepared for me. I took a sip of hot liquid thinking it would wake my senses but nothing happened.

Sometimes when you are hollow from inside even a high amount of caffeine can't lift your mood.

Ugh! I hate being down!

"Lauren." Christy snapped her fingers in my face making me flinch a little. Glaring, she sat across me. "You are not being you. You are always chipper no matter what but now you seem sad. Did something happen there?"

Something? A lot happened there!

I didn't come back in one piece. I left a part of my heart and soul there.

How could I let it happen?

Again, it's not in someone's hands, is it? Like how will you know that you are losing your heart to someone?

Why! Why did he kiss me? Why was he being gentle and polite to me? Why did he ask for my help? Why did he introduce me to Ryan and grandma?

It's all his fault!

"You are zoning out again, Lauren."

I sighed heavily and pushed the coffee mug aside. "Nothing happened. I just ...didn't want to come back."

I told her the truth. It was strange and stupid of me to say that but I didn't want to come back. I had a great time there.

"Oh, this is the issue. And here I thought something bad happened." Christy chuckled. "It happens. No one wants to come back to normal life from vacationland. Your business trip was a short vacation for you."

Only if she knew.

"You'll be back to your normal self soon." She added.

Hope so.

"Come on, let's have breakfast. And cheer up." She added.

She had her breakfast with me then left for an outing with her colleagues and I stayed back as it was Sunday.

I lazily stood up from the chair and went out in the front tiny garden to get some fresh air, to escape the tsunami of weird thoughts that had washed out the sensible ones.

But it turned out that coming out was a mistake as my eyes landed on the red roses blooming in the corner of the garden.

Roses; a symbol of love.

Honestly, I envied people giving each other red roses. It felt like they mock me for not experiencing love. It hurt a lot; seeing people marrying the love of their life.

And I envied Eloise and Ariana for experiencing love. Their husbands shower them with all the love they have.

I had never shown it to anyone but I get hurt easily. Inside this happy, carefree, and bold woman hides a lonely, struggling, and frightened woman who is scared of being alone; scared of not finding the one for herself.

People looked at me as a woman that wants extraordinary things but I was just a plain romantic girl who just wanted to be loved, who wanted to be important to someone.