Chapter-14

^^Fan made covers.
Thank you nandiniparth for these amazing covers.❤❤❤

_________________________________________

Lauren Hart

It was already evening when we came back from the grocery shopping, in an awkward car ride might I add. By the time, Ryan wasn't tired, in fact, he was enthusiastic than ever and wanted all of us to play soccer. Looking at his interest in the sport, I wished for him to pursue it as his career; only if he wanted.

We were on the front lawn where Ryan stood with the soccer ball in his hands, dividing the rest three of us into a team.

"Ryan, son, I'm tired. Please exclude me from the game. I'll just sit and watch you all play." Grandma said as she sat on the cushioned swing chair on the wooden deck.

"Huh! Now, how will I divide the team? We are only three." Ryan pouted.

As I, who from the start had no interest in playing, proposed, "Ryan, why don't you play with your uncle, one on one? I'll too watch you play."

"No!" He said almost instantly. "You can't leave. I have to teach you the game as you don't know how to play it."

I blushed when I heard someone chuckle who standing at two hands distance from me and before I could react further Ryan jumped to his uncle. "Uncle Sean, do you know how to play soccer?"

"Yes, champ, I know." He replied with the same enthusiasm as Ryan.

"Then we both must teach Lauren. It'd be fun and she'll learn quickly."

Mr. Peterson turned to face me. "You don't know how to play soccer?"

My insides ruffled and my face heated up. "I...I know."

"But the kid says otherwise." He lifted his eyebrows, looking at me in amusement.

"He thinks so... but it doesn't mean I don't know," I replied, not directly to look at him at all.

"I doubt it." He muttered while shaking his head.

I gritted my teeth. He was doubting my worth and I needed to show him, prove to him that I was not what he thought I was. Whenever someone questions my worth I feel provoked.

"Ryan, give this to me." I literally snatched the ball from his hands and stood face to face with Mr. Peterson.

"Why not clear the doubt with the game? One on one. You and me?"

"N—" I knew he was going to deny but Ryan didn't let him do so. "Challenge? Yay! It'd fun to watch."

Grandma, who was sitting a little farther to butted in by sitting there. "Yes, it'd fun. I want to see who wins. Ryan, come to me, we'll watch them play."

Ryan ran to her and I kept my gaze fixed on the one I challenged, who in return was looking at me with challenging eyes. He gritted his teeth and snatched the ball from me. "Fine. Let's see how much of a player you are."

"Let's show you then." I lifted my chin before walking to the center of the lawn. He followed and placed the ball on the ground. My goal was at my back and his goal was at his back; grandma and Ryan were sitting perpendicular to us so they had a good view of the game.

For a few seconds, we stared at each other challengingly, showing how determined we both were to with the game. Narrowing my eyes, I raised my hand and started, "on the count of one...two...three."

I had just lifted my foot and in the blink of an eye, the ball was taken away from under my foot. My jaw dropped at his lightning speed move. In utter shock, I ran after him, and before I could catch him, he had already kicked the ball, and there, he did the goal effortlessly.