Chapter-29

Lauren Hart

The meeting turned out to be torture to me. We went to see the land in between the open marketplace where I had to keep an eye around me in order not be get caught. I had no idea what happened throughout the meeting as I couldn't pay attention because of my fear of getting caught, I just remember only one thing about the meeting —the deal is finalized.

Thankfully, it had been drizzling since we arrived here and I had an umbrella covering my face. I wouldn't have been so paranoid if I had visited my parents at least once since I shifted to New York City. It had been four years straight. But why would I come back when I was enjoying my freedom? I was free from all the restrictions that were forcefully imposed on me.

Sun had gone down the horizon when the meeting ended and we were on our way back home and I couldn't be happier. But one hurdle was still there. We had to drive through the area where my parent's house was located.

"What happened to you? You have acting strange since you arrived here." Sean's voice jerked me back to reality. I sat straight in my seat but still had the side of my face covering with my hand.

"Nothing," I replied.

"No, there has to something. I have been watching your strange movements. Why are you hiding your face?" He shot me a glance before focusing back on the road in front.

"Uh, I am not hiding my face. I felt something on my skin and I am just brushing it off." I lightly brushed my face with my hand and kept doing it until I looked outside the window. I gasped when I recognized the area where I had spent childhood. Damn!

Panic had already surged inside me but it heightened when the car came to an abrupt stop.

"What, why did you stop?" I asked frantically.

"I guess the car broke down." He answered back casually.

no... No... NO!

Goddammit! We were in the main market area and many people here knew me.

"Lucky us! See, there's an auto repair shop to our left" Sean said while looking out of the window at his left. "Let me go and let it checked." He got out of the car and ran inside the shop as it was still drizzling.

I didn't dare look outside, instead, I slid down in the seat, and picking up a random file from the backseat I hid my face behind it. I stayed like that until the door of my side opened, making me flinch. The file I was holding flew out of my hands.

"What were you doing?" Confused Sean asked. I picked up the file and again sat straight in the seat. "Nothing."

He eyed me skeptically before shaking his head at my weirdness. "Whatever. The car will take a while to be repaired and I was thinking till then we could grab some snacks. There is a cafe across the street."

Yeah, I know 'cause I used to be a regular customer there.

"Uh, I am not hungry. You can grab whatever you want, I'd rather stay here." I said uneasily.

"I won't leave you alone with my car!"

Well, not his fault, considering my history with vehicles.

"Besides, you can have coffee. Now, come out." He ordered as he slid aside to make way for me.

"No, I am good here. I want nothing." I grumbled. He bent down and inserted his head inside the car, glaring at me.

"I have had enough of your drama today. If you won't step out the next second, I'll drag you to the cafe. I won't care about making a scene here."