Chapter-12

Sean Peterson

Another morning came after another sleepless night, though the reason for my sleeplessness wasn't her; it's Ryan I was thinking about. I had been running my mind since last night to save Ryan from those greedy people. He was a kid for god sake and he had every right on his father's property, but he was eyed by some low lives who unfortunately are my family members.

I was angry; angry at my mom and dad for not having time for their only grandson. Power, money, and show off were important for them else than anything; more important than their own children.

I needed Ryan safe and closer to me and for that, I had to spend more time with him and the mission starts today. With that thought, I rolled off the bed and as I didn't have to go to work I decided to go for a run to refresh my mind. It was only six-thirty in the morning when I headed downstairs and got surprised when I found Ryan roaming in the living room; alone.

"Ryan, what are you doing? You are up early? Where's grandma?" I asked as I sauntered towards him.

"Good morning uncle Sean. Grandma is in the bathroom and I'm waiting for her to come out so we can go for a walk."

I found the moment as an opportunity to bond with him.

"I'm also going for a run, will you accompany me?" I asked as I kneeled to his level. His eyes twinkled and he asked, "Are you going to the park?"

"We can if you want." I smiled. His lips curled up but within a second curled down. I felt like he wanted to say something but was hesitating.

"Ryan, what had I told you? You can say or ask for whatever you want." I said, caressing his chubby cheeks.

"Uh, can I get a shoulder ride like Aron's father give to him?" He mumbled hesitantly as he lowered his head. I raised his chin. "Who's Aron?"

"He's our neighbor. Whenever grandma takes me to the park, I see his father giving him a shoulder ride. I too want that, I never got one."

"You never got a shoulder ride?" I frowned.

"No. Grandma can't carry me on her shoulders and both my Grandpas and uncle Levi are always busy. I don't have anyone to give me that." He said referring to my dad, uncle, and cousin. I felt like punching someone. Those money-hungry people didn't even have five minutes to play with the kid. I was no different; I too neglected him. But now I had got my senses back.

"Don't say you don't have anyone. You have me, I'll give you shoulder ride."

"You will?" His blue eyes turned wide in surprise. I nodded my head, laughing. "Now, go and wear your shoes; I'm waiting here."

"Yay!" He jumped in excitement and ran to his room.

"Whoa, what's with the excitement?" Grandma asked coming out of her room, watching excited Ryan who ran past her without looking at her.

"Taking him to the park with me" I smiled as I stood up. "Trying to fulfill his tiny dreams."

"Then I must stay back. You two go and spend a good time with each other." She suggested.

"Good morning." I rolled my eyes as I heard the voice of my headache.

"Good morning, Lauren." Grandma greeted her and I gave her a curt nod, saying 'morning'.

"Lauren, why don't you accompany Sean and Ryan to the park—"

"Grandma." I interrupted before she could speak further. "I require alone time with Ryan."

"Grandma, I think he's right. I have spent a good alone time with Ryan, he needs it too." I was kind of surprised as for the first time in two days she uttered something sensible.