Chapter-30

Lauren Hart

We were welcomed by my overly excited parents and no, they weren't excited to have me there, it was my boss. My dad did crush me in a hug and asked about my wellness. But again, my mom had put my boss on a higher pedestal.

Ignoring them, I roamed my eyes inside the house. Nostalgia hit me hard. The place where I had spent my childhood was the same as I had left it. Our house was not huge but it wasn't small either. It was cozy. Though the furniture was not at its usual place, it was arranged differently. But the table, chair, and couch were the same I had stubbed my toe in many times. I almost giggled when I recalled making my mother run after me in the living room many times. I would use the furniture as a shield to save myself from her beating whenever she heard complaints about me.

My thoughts were broken when someone called my name. It was Laura, my older sister, who was descending the stairs and had a big smile on her face. Unlike me, who wore a business jumpsuit, she was wearing a beautiful below knee-length dress, makeup, and her waist-length hair tied in a ponytail. Her dangling earrings added glow to her beauty. Her straight body posture added to her height. She's the girl that never broke rules and did whatever my parents asked her to do.

This is what my mother wanted me to become a prim and proper lady—a lady that must behave like a lady.

I smiled as well. No matter how much I disliked her for being our parent's favorite, I missed her. She's my sister after all. She's not evil, she had never hurt me intentionally. It's my parent's love for her that made me dislike her. Insecurity always overpowered me, distancing me from my sister.

I squealed and hugged her tightly. "How have you been?" She asked, grinning ear to ear.

"Better than ever!" I didn't miss to fit the sarcasm for my parents to hear.

"You know I missed you?" She said. "You forgot me after shifting to New York."

"No, I didn't," I added quickly. "Just work kept me busy." I shrugged my shoulders. She smiled before tilting her head and looking past me.

"And who that might be?" She asked in confusion.

"Oh, he's my boss, Sean Peterson," I replied.

"Oh." She smiled widely and walked past me.

"It's nice to have you here, Mr. Peterson. My name's Laura." She extended her hand for a handshake. And Sean didn't take long to grab her hand.

"Laura Hart. A beautiful name for a beautiful lady." He rose her hand and kissed the back of her hand.

My jaw dropped to the ground. Did he just kiss her hand and called her beautiful? Well, she is but he never complimented me! Never-ever!

Laura laughed, her cheeks turned pink. "Oh, thank you, Mr. Peterson."

"Call me, Sean, Laura." He replied, not leaving her hand.

My jaw ticked and my eyes narrowed at them. It was his first time meeting my sister and he seemed impressed by her and asked her to call him by his name. I worked for four years with him and he only asked me to address him by his name just a week ago.

It was sure he was flirting with her. Jerk! Player! He changed his mind when his eyes landed on a beautiful woman.

I scoffed. "So much for 'attracted to me'!"

Why was I getting irritated? I had cleared him to stay away from me. And he could date whosoever he wanted, for all I care!

Okay, anyone but my sister!
I didn't want my crush to date my sister.