Chapter-9

Not proofread!
______________________________________

Lauren Hart

"So, for how long have you been working for Sean?"

Grandma asked her first question while taking a sip of her coffee. We were sitting in the living room.

"F...four years." It was an easy question but still, I stuttered as I was a bit uncomfortable.

"That's a pretty long time." She looked surprised. "And for how long have you been staying with Sean?"

What the heck? Hadn't he told her everything? Or was she cross-checking? Clearing my throat I shifted uncomfortably on the couch. "He didn't tell you?"

"No, he didn't. He was in a hurry so he didn't mention much about you." She said as she placed the coffee mug on the center table and put her right leg over her left.

Oh, he left everything on me! He had even gone out of the house for me to answer the inquiry. And then he says I'm good at making up things! Like...why wouldn't I? He was giving me the reason to master manipulating and lying.

"One month," I replied.

"Oh, that's even better. This means you must know Sean very well, right?" She asked rather excitedly.

Huh! She was talking about knowing him well. Grandma, you have no idea how well I know him. I have done his DNA sequencing!

However, she would not have understood the sarcasm so I refrained from speaking out loud.

"As a boss, yes but as a person, not much," I spoke the truth. I didn't want to drag myself into any tricky questions.

Honestly, she seemed to be a nice and expressive lady to me but her presence was somewhat intimidating; maybe because I didn't know her, and I was being interrogated in our first meeting.

"Oh!" That's all she replied. Then she started to ask about my family background and my likes and dislikes. I kept on answering her obediently; observing Ryan from time to time, who was sitting quietly and was patiently listening to our conversation. I wondered what was keeping him from talking? Why was he so quiet?

Grandma stopped asking questions for a while and I chose the moment to take a sip of my coffee but it all came out of my mouth when I heard Grandma's next question.

"So, Lauren, tell me, do you have feelings for Sean?"

I coughed hard, wiping my mouth with my hands. "Oh, dear, are you alright?" Grandma rubbed my back.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I sat straight still avoiding her eyes, wiping my face with tissues she offered me.

"Will you be able to answer my question?" She asked.

"Yes. And no I don't have feelings for Mr. Peterson." Just a little crush that's all.

"Really? Not even a bit?" She seemed surprised but her eyes twinkled.

"Err...no?"

"You don't seem to be sure about your answer." She chuckled and I blushed.

"No! I mean, yes, I'm sure about my answer."

"What? You've been working for him for so long and your heart never fluttered for him? Don't you find him handsome? Or you swing the other way?" She wiggled her eyebrows and I gave her a reply almost instantly.

"No, I...I'm straight and yes, I do find him handsome." Well, shit! I shut my eyes tightly, cursing myself for having a mouth with no filter.