28

*a couple weeks later*

the yule ball was announced around two weeks ago and every single person in the female population that were currently at hogwarts were frantically prancing around looking for dates and dresses, me and Nicolette on the other hand were an exception. 

Nicolette had asked Harry to be her date to the ball a week ago and he accepted, I on the other hand was going with Cedric and couldn't be happier about it. 

Today was the final Hogsmeade trip before the ball and me and Nicolette were on our way to go buy dresses with Madame. I honestly didn't know what I was looking for but Nicolette was going on and on about wanting a red dress so she can impress Harry by wearing his favorite color. I felt something turn in my stomach but dismissed it as we continued to Gladrags wizardwear.

I walked into the shop and immediately walked back out, my hands up in the universal surrender motion.

Madame and Nicolette followed me out with the same expression.

"that was definitely not what I was expecting" I started

"those clothes were nothing like the ones you find in France" Nicolette let out in disbelief

"I agree ladies, how about we just-" she grabbed onto both of our arms and apparated us to a boutique in Paris

I immediately ran in and took a deep breath in, "now this, this is more like it" I sighed dreamily

Nicolette came in right behind me and spoke, "I agree"

We both took off in different directions, roaming around the small boutique and looking for "the one."

-

Nicolette came out in a stunning red dress that hugged her perfectly and flowed out below the waist.

My jaw literally dropped, "Nicolette! that's perfect! très magnifique!"

"Are you sure?" she looked down at her dress hesitantly, "do you think Harry would like it?"

"Colette, it doesn't matter what Harry thinks, all that matters is if you feel comfortable and confident in that dress, and may I add that you look absolutely stunning."

She nodded her head in response and then her face lit up as she looked behind me, I turned around and was met with Madame holding a powder blue dress that was absolutely stunning. She pushed it towards me.

"now it's your turn" she smiled lightly at me, I took the dress overjoyed and ran into a changing room

I walked out feeling, I can't even really explain it, it was incredible, the dress was gorgeous as well. It had a tool bodice and skirt, light sleeves, and beautiful embellishments along the neckline along with a wonderful "belt" at the waist.

I came out of the dressing room to show Madame and Nicolette; the minute my body emerged from the door, Madam Maxime's hands flew over her mouth, her eyes beginning to glass over

I came out of the dressing room to show Madame and Nicolette; the minute my body emerged from the door, Madam Maxime's hands flew over her mouth, her eyes beginning to glass over. A similar reaction came from Nicolette, the only difference was that after a few moments she picked up the bottom of her dress and ran over to me and engulfed me in a hug.

"you look so beautiful Bellie," she pulled away and placed her hands on my shoulders, "and I'm sure that Cedric will think so too" with her final comment, a blush spread across my cheeks

I nodded and walked back into the dressing room to take the dress off. Once I walked out, me and Nicolette went to go buy our dresses when Madame stopped us. 

"no girls, this is my treat," she smiled down at us before handing us some money, "now go get some gelato"

We nodded eagerly before running out of the store like two little maniacs. We weaved through the crowded streets of the french wizarding world until we arrived. We looked at the store with wide eyes before walking in.

"Salut" the young man, who couldn't have been older than us, behind the counter greeted

"Salut cómo ça va? (hi how are you?)" I asked politely while Nicolette looked over all of the flavors

He almost looked taken back that I asked him how he was other than just saying my order.

"bien et vous? (good and you?)" 

"également (likewise)" I smiled at him, he smiled back

I looked over at Nicolette who was still scouring all of the flavors, after a while her eyes widened and she looked over at me jumping up and down like a toddler.

"Bellie! Can I get a scoop of chocolate raspberry? Please!" she pleaded, only making the situation funnier

"Isn't that why we came?" I said laughing and looking back towards the boy, "one scoop of chocolate raspberry please?" he nodded and began scooping the gelato into a bowl

"oh and can I have a scoop of apple crumble?"

"of course mademoiselle" he said after handing an overjoyed Nicolette hers

I giggled as I watched Nicolette rush over to a table and began digging into her gelato. A couple of moments later I felt someone tap my shoulder, I turned around and was met with the boy's brown locks and blue eyes.

"here you go" He smiled as I grabbed the gelato from his hands

"merci beaucoup"

"de rien" he responded

I went to go sit down with Nicolette and began to eat the gelato as well. Once the cold substance hit my tongue I knew immediately that I had made the right decision about the apple crumble. I kept eating until the ring of the bell at the door caught my attention.

I turned around and saw Cedric holding a small velvet box in his hands, smiling as soon as we made eye contact.

"Ced!" I yelled, jumping into his arms

"darling" he murmured into my hair

"What are you doing in France?" I asked, pulling away from the hug

"I came to surprise you and," he got down on one knee, "ask you if you would make me the happiest man alive and-" he was cut off by a loud bang coming from outside, we turned towards the window to see people frantically running around, dark, wisp-like figures fading from here to there

I looked up at him before grabbing Nicolette by her wrist, and the same with Cedric. I was about to attempt to apparate when I heard a scream come from the back of the store. I let go of the two and told them to follow me as I made my way to the back of the shop. The boy from earlier was being cornered by one of the wisps, fear engraved onto his face. Before I could comprehend what I was doing, I took out my wand and held it towards the black wisp. I remember Harry telling me in one of his letters last year about a spell that helped him fight off a dementor last year, and that all you needed to do was think about your strongest, emotion filled memory and say the incantation. I know that whatever this thing is isn't a dementor but the spell was worth the try.

"Expecto Patronum!" I shouted, a silver wisp flew out of my wand and danced toward the figure before taking the form of a doe

Another light shot out of my wand as I kept thinking about different memories, and suddenly a badger stood right next to the doe. I held the spell until both of the animals crashed into the wisp, making it go up in smoke.

I sighed as I lowered my wand, fatigue taking over my body.

'no you have to get everyone to safety, hold on.' I thought as I had everyone grip onto me

'Beauxbatons..' 

In a flurry of twist and turns, all four of us were at the gates of me and Nicolette's school, and with a sigh of relief, everything went black.