41

Panic.

That was the only emotion that was even evident in my mind as I raced through the tall walls of the maze. I had lost Cedric what seemed like hours ago, but in all reality was close to about fifteen minutes.

"Cedric!" I called out, my words seemingly echoing off of the walls of the maze

I heard nothing in response.

I sighed as I turned around trying to find another way to go down seeing as I was just caught in a dead end full of blast ended skrewts. I continued on, my moral compass guiding me.

'left'

'right'

'right'

'straight'

I kept running through the maze until I heard something hissing behind me. I silently cursed myself as I turned around.

'please don't be a snake, please don't be a snake, please don't be a-'

My thoughts came to a screeching halt as I eyed the creature in front of me.

"A cobra lily... just what I needed." I sighed, rolling my eyes before getting my wand at the ready, and my left hand ready in case I needed to use my powers

I stared at the tall creature, its green, stem-like body slithering closer to me while its small, pinkish head began to open. Long fangs sprouted out of the roof of its mouth, a little bit of a nectar looking substance dripping out of it, burning the ground where it fell. 

"shit, shit, shit" I muttered as the beast got closer to me

I watched as the lower half of its body began to coil, signalling it was about to strike.

"oh no you don't" I muttered, using my left hand to slow down the snake-like creature long enough for me to move out of the way so it can strike the ground. I sighed in relief when the creature was no longer in sight.

I stopped to catch my breath after a few minutes of straight running and something caught my eye. A flash of yellow.

"Cedric!" I called out desperately, my voice a little weak, "Cedric!"

I sighed in relief as I saw the blur of yellow running back towards me. Cedric soon stood in front of me, sweat dripping down his forehead, his hands and face caked in dirt, and his shirt clingy to his defined mid-section.

"Queenie, thank Merlin. Are you okay, love?" he asked, his hands grasping my shoulders as he looked me up and down

"Other than a few scratches I'm doing just fine. What about you? one moment you were with me and the next I was alone." I sighed, wiping some sweat off of my forehead

"I know, I know," he sighed, pulling me into a hug, "I promise I won't let it happen again." He sighed into my hair

I looked up at him smiling before I motioned towards a walkway of the maze. He nodded his head in agreement and followed after me as I ran down the path. We heard shouting coming from down the path and we paused for a second before choosing our next steps carefully. We continued walking until we saw Viktor in front us.

"Viktor! oh thank Merlin!" I exclaimed, walking closer to him and putting my hand on his shoulder

He turned around slowly, his eyes cloaked with a weird gray haze.

"Viktor?" I asked, fear growing in the pit of my stomach

He said nothing as he raised his wand in the air, beginning to say one of the unforgivables. I lifted my hands in a defensive position as the last syllable left his dry lips. A barrier was built around me and Cedric, the spell dissipating as it hit it.

"Viktor this isn't you!" I tried, he only shook his head in response before muttering the same curse as before

I threw my hands up once more, the barrier forming around us, and while Viktor was distracted, I dropped the shield and Cedric blasted him with a quick 'stupefy'.

I walked over to Viktor's side cautiously before grabbing his wand and sending red sparks out of it. I quickly put his wand back on the ground next to him before running back to Cedric.

"we need to finish this." I said, a determined look on my face

"we do. let's go." Cedric responded, taking my hand in his and dragging me towards an open path

We kept running until we collided into something. I looked up from my place on the floor to see Harry holding his head.

"Harry!" I shouted, crawling over to my best friend and taking him into a hug

I felt his arms wrap around me as he began to regain his breath.

"Rosie."

I released the hug and began to get up from my place on the ground, offering my hand to Harry as he began to get up. He took my hand and was soon off the ground too. I looked between the two boy's, an unspoken tension lingering. I cleared my throat a bit before pointing in a direction where I saw a blue light coming from.

"I think we should go that way." 

The two only nodded in agreement before following after me. As we got closer, we could see what looked like a cup sitting in the middle of a rotunda made of shrubs. We all began sprinting towards the cup when I heard a yelp come from behind me. I turned around quickly and saw Cedric fighting desperately against the roots of the plant that was pulling him in. I screamed before Harry shot 'reducto' at the roots and Cedric quickly got up and dusted himself off.

"thanks"

"no problem"

I looked at them weirdly before I nodded back towards the cup. We began sprinting towards the rotunda of plants until we stopped right in front of the cup.

"take it" Harry told me, motioning to the cup

"yea, you're the bravest one out of all of us, and more deserving." Cedric agreed, nodding his head thoughtfully

"no, you two take it, I wouldn't be the person I am without you two, besides it would be a win for Hogwarts either way." I reasoned

"how about we all take it?" Harry suggested

Me and Cedric only nodded in response.

"one" Harry started

"two" Cedric followed

"three" I sighed, our hands grasping the cup at the same time.

this chapter is dedicated to my friend, 

happy birthday girl <3

3/10/21