Chapter 20: The Tenth Question: All or Nothing!

"Before I give you the question, there are some more rules you need to be aware of. These rules are unique to question 10. Listen carefully and try not to to let them frighten you. Very well then Rule#1: each of you is free to choose to be given the final question. It's your decision."

"Whoa! So what's the catch? What if we do it, what happens then?!"

"If you choose not to take the question, regardless to the answers to the other nine, you'll get a zero. In order words, you fail and that means of course your teammates fail as well..If you accept the question but you answer it incorrectly, you will not only fail, you will be banned from taking the Chunin exams ever again!"

Aika gasps 'no way'

"Hey! That's bull, man! That's ridiculous!" Kiba shouts "What kind of bogus rule is that?! There's lot of people here who've taken this before!"

Ibiki starts to laugh "I guess you're unlucky. I wasn't making the rules before but I am now. Of course if you don't want to take it, you don't have to. If you're feeling confident then by all means, skip it. You can come back and try again next year.. Now then if you're ready, the tenth and final question.. those who don't want to take it, raise your hand. Your number will be recorded and then you'll be free to go."

People started to raise their hands and leaving. Aika looks over at Naruto and to her surprise, Naruto rose his hand but then slammed it down onto the table.

"Don't underestimate me! I don't quit and I don't run! You can act tough all you want! You guys aren't going to scare me off! No way! I don't care if I do get stuck as a genin for the rest of my life! I'll still be Hokage someday!" Naruto declares

'big brother.. and here I was doubting you.. funny'

"This decision is one that could damage your life. If for any reason you would rather quit, now's your last chance."

"No way! I never go back on my word! That is my way of the ninja!"

'..your ninja way huh? not bad Naruto.. not bad'

Aika tightened her fist, which Gaara was a bit confused by but didn't show it. With Naruto's little speech, it seemed that most people left decided not to leave.

"Well then, I admire your determination if nothing else" Ibiki says "For those remaining, there's only one thing left to do... and that's for me to tell you... that you all pass the first exam!"

"Huh?! But where's the tenth question?" Sakura asks surprised

"Who cares, we passed!" Haruto cheers

"There never was one! Actually your decision to stay was the answer to the tenth question" Ibiki admits

"So the other questions were just a waste of time?!" Temari says

"The first nine questions had a purpose.. to test your ability to gather intelligence under circumstances. Let me explain. You see, my objective was to test you not only as individuals but as a team and on how well you function part of that team. That's why the test was scored on a team basis so you would know what you did or failed to do recklessly to effect your teammates. I wanted to see how you would handle the pressure. The first nine questions on the test were difficult.. It was too difficult for a genin expected to solve. I imagine that most of you quickly came to that conclusion, that you would have to cheat if you would have any chance of passing. The fact is, the test was designed to encourage you to cheat. It almost demanded it." 

'huh.. but I didn't cheat?'

Aika raises her hand "excuse me sir, are you saying it's impossible for us to have answered the questions on our own?"

"yes" Ibiki replies "why do you ask?"

"Ai?" Haruto turns and looks at her

"Well I uh.." Aika looks down at her paper "I didn't cheat"

"Well that doesn't matter" Ibiki smiles a bit "you still decided to stay for the 10th question"

"R-right" Aika rubs the back of her head

Ibiki then removes his bandana revealing terrible scars, puncture wounds and burn marks "You have successfully answered the question presented to you. You have earned the right to continue to the next step. you have passed through the first gate. I hereby declare the first part of the Chunin Exams completed. There's nothing left but to wish you all good luck."

"Alright!"

"We did it!"

"One down!"

"Yeah!"

"Woo Hoo!"

Gaara glances at Aika's paper '..they're all right.. just what is Fire Cat's ability'

Suddenly someone broke through the window. The woman stood in the front of the classroom, grinning. 

"Heads up boys and girls.. This is no time to be celebrating! I'll be your next proctor; Anko Mitarashi! Ready for the second test? Good! Let's go! Follow me!" 

't-that fast' Aika looks worried

She seemed to have counted us and complained that there was too many left. "When I'm done with them.. more than half will be eliminated. This is gonna be fun. Alright! You maggots had it easy so far but things are going to be different now starting first thing in the morning. I'll let your squad leaders know where to meet me. Dismissed!"

-

The very next morning, all the teams stood in front of a forest. Haruto and Aika stood with team 7 for the time being.

"What is it?" Naruto asks

"This is the location for the second faze of the exam. It's the 44th battle zone but we all call it... The Forest of Death" Anko explains

"D-Death" Aika grabs Naruto's arm

"Don't worry Aika, everything will be fine" Naruto rubs her head "as long as I'm here you'll be safe"

"Idiot we can't help her remember" Sasuke speaks up "She's on a different team, Kakashi said Haruto has to help her, not us"

"EH-" Naruto sulks "oh yeah I forgot"

"Don't worry I got her" Haruto says "but seriously Ai, your not a kid anymore, this isn't a time to be scared"

"B-but it's scary" Aika mutters "I don't wanna die"

"Nobody wants to die and you won't die as long as you stay focused" Haruto tells her "just have more confidence"

"that's the exact opposite of what I have" Aika whines

"hm.." Haruto looks at Sasuke "yo let's talk"

"about what?" Sasuke questions suspiciously

The two walk a bit away.

"So what's up with Aika, one minute she's a badass and another minute she's a scaredy cat, what gives?" Haruto questions

"See this is why I said before, don't act like you know her" Sasuke crosses his arms "She's been like that since she was a kid, I think it has something to do with her kekkei genkai. When her eyes are red she's all serious and when they're blue she's a scaredy cat. If she learns how to control it I bet she'd be a great ninja, but if not, she'll get killed"