six.

"Amortentia"

KINLEY ADAMS

I woke up the next morning with Ron in my bed. My head was pounding and empty bottles of Firewhisky were on the floor.

What time is it?

I was hungover, and could barely remember last night. I looked in the mirror to find my hair a mess. It looked as though a rats nest was forming in the back of my head. Dried mascara ran down my tear stained cheeks and I was still in the same clothes from last night. One could easily mistake me for a troll.

Merlin why do I look like that? Why didn't I clean myself up?

I took a shower and threw on a jumper and a pair of trackies to go down to breakfast.

Weirdly enough, neither Hermione nor Lavender where in the dorm so I assumed they were already at breakfast.

"Ron." He groaned as I shook him awake. "Ron wake up let's go to breakfast." My throat pricked as I spoke. It felt sore and dry. Possibly from a mix of the alcohol and yelling.

He slowly opened his eyes and sat up in the bed. "What?" He said confused, his eyes half open.

"I'm starving. Let's catch breakfast before our classes start," I stood up from the bed and pulled at his arm to get him up.

"Oh — right," he began rubbing the sleep out of his eyes and let out a yawn.

Although last night felt like a blur, I still remember the fight I had with Ron. I felt like I was trying ti tip-toe around the situation — begging for trust, wanting to believe him. Looking for any sign telling me to stay. I was in denial, I knew I was.

We walked down the corridor with our fingers interlocked. I didn't know whether or not I was making the right decision by staying with him but I continued to anyway. I looked up at him — studying his flat expression. I look of guilt sheeted across his face — faint, but still visible. As he looked down to meet my gaze I smiled weakly.

Breakfast was quiet. Ron and Hermione barely talked which made me think that Ron was trying to prove to me that he didn't like Hermione the way I thought he did. Not only that, but they didn't sit next to each other either. It was Harry and Hermione on one side and Ron and I on the other.

I looked up from my plate of food and caught Draco staring at Ron and me. I stared back. What is this git's problem? He scoffed irritably and shook his head as he looked away from us. His expression read disappointed and distasteful, but his opinion didn't matter to me.

"I am so hungover from last night," Harry groaned as he rubbed his eyes with his palms.

"I think we all are, Harry," Ron muttered, crossing his arms on the table.

Hermione and I were silent, dead-like actually. We didn't really look up from our plates and I hardly ate the sausages and eggs on my plate. I began chugging water to try to relieve my hangover as was everyone else. If I had to go to class today I might as well make the best of it. Besides, I heard potions was supposed to be interesting.

After breakfast I had an hour before I had to go to class so I took a nap in my dorm, Hermione joined.

***

"That was quite possibly the best nap I've ever taken," Hermione said as we were walking to class — breaking the awkward silence between us.

"No kidding, as soon as I hit my pillow I fell asleep like that," I snapped my fingers.

We walked into potions with a room full of the other fifth years. Everyone stood around Professor Snape's desk as he pulled out a potion that emitted a thick fog.