eleven.

⚠️TW: physical and verbal abuse⚠️

"All Your Fault"

KINLEY ADAMS

I was on the train back to London sitting in a compartment by myself. The train felt very empty and was much quieter than usual. I don't know if it was because I was alone this time or if I just never realized how sound proofed the corridor walls were. I propped my feet up on the seat of the booth and read the whole way home.

We didn't have much money back home but my little two-story house with white paint and black trim around the windows was as lovely as one could make it, until I walked inside.

Bottles upon bottles of alcohol were stacked on the tables following used shot glasses — some older than others. There was so much alcohol that my nose stung from the bitter smell of Firewhisky. I didn't even know my parents knew what Firewhisky was — considering it's only available in the wizarding world.

Things definitely seemed much worse from before I left.

My dad was a closet drinker. He would hide bottles of alcohol in his bedroom and would even fill mouthwash bottles with Firewhisky. I would tell him constantly how terrible it was for him but he didn't seem to care. He would 'yep' me and move on. This started a couple years ago when he and my mother would get into daily arguments, however, it never seemed to get as bad as it was until I started my 5th year at Hogwarts.

Before you would never find an ounce of alcohol out in the open which concerned me. I walked around the house, delicately running my fingers along each wall. The house just had an overall vacant feeling.

"Hello!? Is anyone home!?" My voice echoed.

Silence.

I sat on the alcohol stained sofa and waited. Hours and hours passed and soon enough I noticed the sun beginning to set over the horizon and the moon rising for another night.

Distant back and fourth screaming suddenly grew closer to the house until I eventually recognized the voices as my parents. Once again, they were yelling at each other for Merlin knows what.

"Mum! Dad!" I said standing up from the sofa as the door flew open.

They were both wearing long sleeved shirts and a pair of pants per usual. My mother turned to face me and her eyes lit up. "Kinley, dear! You're home, we missed you," she said pulling me into a hug. Her breath reeked of alcohol.

My father looked at me worriedly, but managed to hide it with a soft smile. "Nice to see you back, Pumpkin," he said taking off his jacket.

"Yeah... so, where were you guys all day? Where's Wes?" I questioned.

"Your father and I were just..." she looked towards my father, "...running errands, and Wes should be here. Have you checked his room?" My mother asked.

"No? I yelled throughout the house so I assumed no one was home. I'll check right now."

Walking up the hardwood stairs I could hear my parents slowly pick back up on the argument they left off.

I creaked open Wes' door and saw him slowly waking up from the nap he supposedly had been taking all day. Empty bags of chocolate fingers and loose cans of soda scattered the floor. I could tell he wasn't doing so great either.

"Get out!" He groaned in a groggy voice.

"Bloody hell, I haven't seen you in 4 months and that's the first thing you say to me?" I remarked.

"Kinley?" he rubbed his eyes and opened them wider until he could see clearly. "Bloody hell it is you. I thought you were staying with that boyfriend of yours. You know, Ron."