eight.

"Truth Comes Out"

KINLEY ADAMS

I stayed up all night thinking about what happened in the astronomy tower. How dangerous that kiss was, how cruel it was for me to kiss another guy other than my boyfriend. Draco and I kissed, and I felt something. Something different from what I've felt before. Something more... powerful.

Draco Malfoy smelt me in his Amortentia.

It was still shocking.

I felt lost and confused and I felt like a complete idiot for cheating on Ron. I didn't want to tell him. How could I? After I just gave him a bollucking for kissing Hermione when I kissed the enemy — the one person who I shouldn't even have any interaction with — the one person who I could never be forgiven for. This was not my intention at all, but I can't change the past — It already happened.

And part of me didn't regret it.

But out of everyone, why Malfoy? That's what I don't understand.

My eyelids felt heavy and my under-eye bags were dark from the lack of sleep I've been getting. I couldn't even look at myself in the mirror — I felt too ashamed. I was hungry but I didn't want to eat. I don't even think I'll be able to look at Ron after what I did. The thought of it already made me want to vomit. I'd rather starve myself than confront him.

A coward. That's what I was being.

I performed an incantation to conceal the dark circles under my eyes and went to breakfast anyway. I sat down with my friends at the Gryffindor table and loaded my plate with over-easy eggs, toast, and a few strips of bacon. I was quiet, but not quiet to the point where everyone was concerned. Once we all settled in Ron kissed my forehead and I smiled at him.

I feel terrible.

Hermione had a sullen look on her face as she watched us. I looked over at her with a wan smile.

"Are you alright, Kinley?" Hermione asked.

"Yes, I'm fine, why? Are you alright?" I asked impudently. I tried to wane the topic off of me before anymore questions were raised.

"Er — yes I'm okay. Just checking in with you, that's all." She looked down at her plate of food and quickly took a bite of her pancake to try and rid the tension.

"Okay," I replied insensitively as I took a bite of my toast.

Everyone else continued talking as I continued to clear my plate. Ron placed his arm around my waist and hugged me tighter to his thigh. It gave me an immediate feeling of guilt but I let it happen anyway. He didn't seem to be paying much attention to Hermione as usual though, making me feel even worse about what I had done.

I gulped and pushed my breakfast plate away from me out of my sudden loss of appetite. I couldn't look Ron in the eye whenever he made small talk. I couldn't even hold his hand under the table when he gestured for it. It's Malfoy's fault. He was the one who smelt me in his Amortentia. He was the one that made me curious to find his work. He was the one who kissed me. He was...not at breakfast? I noticed as I looked up from the table.

I thought he could've been with Pansy, but she was sitting next to Crabbe and Zabini at the Slytherin table.

Maybe he's snogging some other girl. Maybe he's running his finger along her jawline and holding her face in his palm the way he did to me. Maybe he's examining her features and eyeing her lips the way he did to mine. Maybe she's feeling his metal rings press against her skin and getting gooseflesh down her spine the way I did when he placed his hand on my lower back to inch me closer to him. Maybe she's feeling completely consumed by him and losing feeling in her limbs the way I did. Maybe they're —