fourteen.

"Hallucinations"

KINLEY ADAMS

"Harry!" I ran up to him in a hug as he walked through the portrait hole.

"Kinley, hi," he said calmly.

After a long day of sitting in the common room watching the clock tick, the sky turned to dusk by the time of Harry's arrival.

"How was the trip?"

"Cold," he laughed. "I flew on broomstick."

"Merlin's beard, Harry. In the middle of winter?" I grabbed his hand and pulled him by the blazing fireplace. "Stay by the fire."

We sat on the scarlet sofa in the empty common room. Harry held his hands out to the fire in attempt to warm them while we caught up on his stay at the Weasley's.

"Right, erm —" Harry reached his hand into his trunk and pulled out a scarlet jumper with the letter 'K' sewn into it. "— Molly wanted me to give you this. She says she wished she could have given it to you herself but you never showed at the burrow."

"It's lovely," I smiled, holding it up to my frame. "Does she know Ron and I are not on good terms?"

"Yeah, she made it before everything happened. She feels terrible. Gave Ron a good knot in his knickers once she found out. Fred told her."

I sighed lowly, not knowing how else to respond. We spent minutes in silence, listening to the logs crackle in the fire.

"So," Harry said breaking the silence, "what did you need to talk to me about?"

I almost forgot about the reason Harry actually came back to Hogwarts. It hit me hard hearing him cut to the topic — like salt on a fresh wound. I glanced at him tentatively. "It's about home." I looked down towards my arms which were hidden in my jumper.

"Home?" he questioned.

"Swear you won't tell anyone?" I jumped out, my heart palpitating.

"What's there to tell?"

"Just...promise not to say a word, to anyone. Especially Ron or Hermione."

"I promise, Kinley — on my parents." He was picking at the hem of his sleeves, almost as worried as I was.

I wondered if it was a good idea to tell him. If I shouldn't have sent Weebles that night in my room, if I should keep my problems to myself. If I should wait until my bruises disappear and forget the situation even happened. If I should make up some fake story to tell him so he's not concerned.

I swallowed the lump in my throat, hesitant on showing him. He scooted closer to me on the sofa. The fronts of his eyebrows were upturned and his eyes were slightly widened. I grabbed the hem of my sleeves and rolled them above my elbows. My arms were bare, they looked like any others — clean, healthy skin. Harry glanced at my arms and back at me, confused.

"I don't understand," he said light heartedly.

I muttered an incantation to lift the spell that shielded my bruises. My arms wore bruises in every color — some of which were purple and blue and others that have begun to fade into yellow and green. Harrys breath hitched as he studied the discoloration. Hesitantly, he held onto my wrist, rotating my arm to get a better view. He questioned everything in the book (How did it get there? What happened? Are you okay? etc...). I told him everything that had happened from the arrival at my house to when when I apparated. Anything beyond that seemed unimportant.

"What did they mean by 'ruin it'? Ruin what?" Harry asked.

"I'm not sure."

"And exposing them?"