twenty-seven.

"Third Door On The Right"

KINLEY ADAMS

I'm alone in what Malfoy calls 'my bedroom'. The sun has set and the warmth of the manor has diminished. I'm left in this bedroom that seems a lot more scary without light. I flick on a lamp at the bedside table and stare up at the ceiling.

I can't sleep.

I sit up, glancing to the bookcase wall at the other end of the room. I use my wand to 'accio' a book over and stare at the cover, hesitant on whether or not I want to start reading right now.

I flip open to the first page and start to read. I look down at the page number after a few minutes and realize I'm on page 8, but I don't even remember reading anything or what I've read. I can't focus. My mind just– It won't stop.

I can't think straight.

I can't think about reading when all I can think about is where I am right now, in Draco Malfoy's Manor. In my own bedroom.

What am I doing here?

I haven't even left the floor to meet his mother or see the manor in its entirety. I don't know if there's anyone else in here like elves, or guards, or other family members. I don't know what time people wake up or if there are set rules, I don't know the places I can and can't go, though I don't plan on wandering in this maze.

I take a moment to think about Draco's father. His long hair the color of Draco's, his sinister eyes, his evil tongue. Lucius Malfoy is in Azkaban though I don't know his release date. It could be tomorrow, in a few months, or in a few years. I don't know.

What if I see him here? What if he recognizes me? What if Draco's in on it? What if this is some test?

What if– ?

What if– ?

What if– ?

I'll have to meet his eyes again. I'd probably be murdered if he saw me here—if anyone saw me here. I'm sure Mrs. Malfoy does not know of my presence. I'm an intruder—an unknown being in a Manor of Slytherins, prideful of their blood.

But my blood isn't pure. It is only half as pure as theirs. If it were any less they would consider my blood dirty.

I toss the book out of my hands and let it flop to the end of the bed. I stare at the ceiling for what feels like hours until the world eventually goes dark.

***

Bang, Bang, Bang!

My eyes shoot open, darting to the door of my bedroom that's rattling. The door flies open, a black silhouette of a long haired man barges through. He's yelling at me and there's nothing I can do. I'm stunned on the bed, terrified of what this man is capable of.

He takes a step closer to the bed until the moonlight falls over half of his face. Lucius Malfoy is standing at the foot of the bed, hair falling in his face, his eyebrows pulled tightly together, his wand gripped lethally in his fist.

He's shouting so loud I can't hear any other sound.

"I leave my Manor for a short period of time just to come back to filth on my property and occupying one of my rooms!"