twenty-six.

"Nobody's Son, Nobody's Daughter"

KINLEY ADAMS

We're standing at the foot of what Malfoy calls 'my room'. The large black door waits before me as I hesitate to grab the handle. Down the hall, take a right, second door on the left — Up the hall, take a left, third door on the right. I keep repeating the steps it takes to get from his room to mine and vice versa. The Manor is so big I could take one wrong turn and I'd be lost for a week.

I must've taken too long to open the door because Draco's hand is on the handle and the door is swinging open. He puts an arm out to let me in the room first, his hand trailing on my lower back as he guides me through the door. My skin tingles at the touch. I like Malfoy when he's generous. It's odd coming from him, but it's so attractive. His hand drops as he lets me linger by the doorway, observing the space.

I immediately notice my trunks and Weebles in the room. The space is smaller than Draco's but it's a good size, minimalistic. The walls are a pewter grey, the furniture black. One of the walls is an entire bookshelf, books covering each shelf with only a few gaps between. The bed is large with nightstands on each side, but other than that, there are no other pieces of furniture except for a black fabricated bench next to the enormous window at the other end of the room.

"It must be nice having all of this extra space in a Manor that's only taken up by three people," I say as I walk up to Weebles' cage. I open its door. "It's so beautiful."

"It's overwhelming, actually," he places his hands in his trouser pockets.

Weebles steps out of the cage, and flys to the sill of the window. I turn to Draco. He looks me up and down for a brief moment, his expression hard to read.

"You don't like it?" I ask, genuinely intrigued.

He shrugs. "It's nice, but it's too much. I think it's just a waste of space and an excuse for my parents to brag about their riches."

My expression falters. I forgot about his parents being here. I get a sudden flash in my mind of Lucius Malfoy at the Department of Mysteries. His twisted smile and long platinum hair. The sinister look in his eyes.

"What was that?" Draco asks.

I look up at him, assuming the fear in my face is easily readable. "Are your parents here?"

He scratches his chin. "My father's in Azkaban," his voice falters, a scoff. "But my mother does live here so yes, she will be here during your stay."

"I'm sorry... I forgot." I walk over to the edge of the bed and sit, unsure of what I should do.

He watches me. "You're uncomfortable," he states like he already knows.

"I'm just," I run my hands over the comforter, "taking in the space."

He hums in response, then strides over to me until he's standing inches in front of me. I'm eye level with his hips so I have to tilt my head so far up to meet his eyes. He's looking down at me. His eyes are so gentle as he tucks a strand of hair behind my ear.

"I could kill my Aunt for what she did to you," he seethes.

I don't respond. I drop my head into his hand and let him rest his palm against my cheek for a moment. His hand feels so warm against my face, so unlike his usual cool touch. I watch him — I watch the way he looks at my cheek in his hand, the way his lower lip pulls between his teeth, the way his eyes roam my face.